Military Medical School Scholarship... is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixersfan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to whether this scholarship that the military offers where you attend medical school and however many years of schooling that the military pays for, you owe them that many years in return. This of course includes possible active duty over seas. I was wondering others opinions on whether this is worth it or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious as to whether this scholarship that the military offers where you attend medical school and however many years of schooling that the military pays for, you owe them that many years in return. This of course includes possible active duty over seas. I was wondering others opinions on whether this is worth it or not?
It depends on what you mean by "worth it". My specialty's market value is quite a bit more than the military pays, so I left a lot of money on the table even after accounting for the tuition the military paid. On the other hand, I made a good bit more as a resident than my civilian counterparts did, so my "tighten the belt" years weren't nearly as bad. For those in less highly compensated specialties, the financial difference may be much less.

But most SDNers I've seen saying "opportunity cost" are misusing the phrase by assuming money is the only thing of value in life. By accepting an HPSP scholarship, I was able to spend seven years actively serving my country. I received valuable leadership training and created relationships and connections that helped me land my civilian job. In the overall balance of costs and rewards, I think the scholarship was worth it for me, and I'd do it again. I love my civilian life, but there are still times I miss the uniform.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to be a soldier or a doctor first? HPSP limits your training and career options before you even begin medical school. You may fall in love with a specialty that the military has no need for, and you would be out of luck. If that's okay with you because you can't imagine a career without serving your nation, sign up now.

Otherwise, the military offers other ways to pay down debt in residency and as an attending. Residents can apply for what I believe is called the FAP, which supplements your income during residency. I think this may be an active duty only option. Attendings can direct commission, usually for a six-figure sign-on bonus (again, fact check this), and you can choose either active duty or the reserves.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on what you mean by "worth it". My specialty's market value is quite a bit more than the military pays, so I left a lot of money on the table even after accounting for the tuition the military paid. On the other hand, I made a good bit more as a resident than my civilian counterparts did, so my "tighten the belt" years weren't nearly as bad. For those in less highly compensated specialties, the financial difference may be much less.

But most SDNers I've seen saying "opportunity cost" are misusing the phrase by assuming money is the only thing of value in life. By accepting an HPSP scholarship, I was able to spend seven years actively serving my country. I received valuable leadership training and created relationships and connections that helped me land my civilian job. In the overall balance of costs and rewards, I think the scholarship was worth it for me, and I'd do it again. I love my civilian life, but there are still times I miss the uniform.

I love your response and input. I think you are one of the first people who didn't make me feel like crap for asking the same question. I did have two questions from your response though:

1. Why did you spend 7 years active duty? was it because of the HPSP?
2. After active duty, is it hard to land a civilian physician position? Is it common/possible to do?

I love your response and input. I think you are one of the first people who didn't make me feel like crap for asking the same question. I did have two questions from your response though:

1. Why did you spend 7 years active duty? was it because of the HPSP?
2. After active duty, is it hard to land a civilian physician position? Is it common/possible to do?
1. Yes. I was on active duty through all four years of residency and owed three years of post-residency active duty service.
2. No, it's not hard. People do it all the time. A lot of employers look very favorably on military service, and serving in the military provides both official (i.e., knowing someone personally) and unofficial (i.e., "Oh, you were in the Army? I was in the Navy!") networking opportunities. In my case, my civilian department is full of ex-military physicians, some of whom personally know the folks who trained me, and that made it very easy for me to land my civilian job.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you want. Sorry to hear some folks have been rude.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Yes. I was on active duty through all four years of residency and owed three years of post-residency active duty service.
2. No, it's not hard. People do it all the time. A lot of employers look very favorably on military service, and serving in the military provides both official (i.e., knowing someone personally) and unofficial (i.e., "Oh, you were in the Army? I was in the Navy!") networking opportunities. In my case, my civilian department is full of ex-military physicians, some of whom personally know the folks who trained me, and that made it very easy for me to land my civilian job.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you want. Sorry to hear some folks have been rude.

1. Did you ever think of going through with the 20 yr for retirement? What made you not end up wanting to do it?

2. Did you say you were part of the Army or Navy? I’m a bit worried about the GMO tour. I’m not quite sure how exactly that works. Would I be pulled from a let’s say 4 yr residency after my first year there? That doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t mind doing one after my residency...

3. I’ve been hearing a lot of specialty atrophy during active duty times. (Maybe this was for on GMO tours) Did you feel like that was your case? Did you like where they placed you overseas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Did you ever think of going through with the 20 yr for retirement? What made you not end up wanting to do it?

2. Did you say you were part of the Army or Navy? I’m a bit worried about the GMO tour. I’m not quite sure how exactly that works. Would I be pulled from a let’s say 4 yr residency after my first year there? That doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t mind doing one after my residency...

3. I’ve been hearing a lot of specialty atrophy during active duty times. (Maybe this was for on GMO tours) Did you feel like that was your case? Did you like where they placed you overseas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1. I thought about it a bit. One of the main reasons I elected to separate when my ADSO ended is that moving was getting harder and harder on my kids. In my case, the Army assigned me to an intern year spot at a different location than the rest of my residency. That meant we moved after med school, then moved again a year later, then moved again three years after that when I finished residency. My son was 8 when I separated from the Army and our current (permanent) residence is his fifth home! It's not that way for everybody, though: one of my residency classmates did internship and residency at the same place, then stayed on there afterward. And some people handle multiple childhood moves very well. My kids don't, and that's one of the main reasons I got out.

2. I was in the Army. First, let me clarify what a GMO is. GMO stands for General Medical Officer, and they're general practitioners who have completed internship (and possibly more). They're not physicians who've completed residency and become attendings. The different service branches have different GMO requirements. @Matthew9Thirtyfive can tell you more about how the Navy handles GMOs, but the last time I looked into it they had a mandatory GMO year after internship for all physicians-in-training. The Army has no such requirement -- if you match into a categorical residency program (i.e., a residency program that goes from internship through graduation), you go straight through with no interruption in your training, then do your payback as an attending physician rather than a GMO.

People who don't match into categorical programs, on the other hand, are slotted into transitional internship spots. During intern year, those people can apply for advanced positions (i.e., residency spots that go from PGY-2 onward) or reapply for categorical positions (which means they would do a second intern year, then progress on through residency training). If they get such a spot, they'll also progress through their training without serving as GMOs. If they don't get picked up, though, they finish intern year with no contract for further medical training, and they're made GMOs to begin paying back their scholarship while serving as general practitioners for the Army. During GMO time, they can continue to reapply for the Army match each year, and their GMO time will end either when they match or when they've been a GMO long enough to pay back their scholarship.

Some people also elect to become GMOs of their own volition. Those folks apply for positions that are for intern year only, then go out as GMOs. They generally do so for the experience -- they're making a sacrifice to provide a much-needed service for the military.

People who complete residency don't serve as GMOs. Rather, they work for the military as attending physicians in their chosen specialty.

3. I experienced a very small amount of skill atrophy during my three years as a military attending. I was stationed at a medical center with generally lower-acuity patients, so I got out of practice just a little bit in terms of managing the trainwreck disaster patients. But it wasn't a big problem -- within a couple months of starting at my civilian job, I was right back up on the horse. Tonight, I'm working as the sole attending anesthesiologist in an 800+-bed level 1 trauma center. So skill atrophy hasn't really been a problem.

I never served overseas. Most Army attendings are stationed at stateside military medical centers or clinics, then deploy periodically when the Army requires them to do so. After deployment, they return to garrison (i.e., their stateside assignment). There are some Army anesthesiology attendings stationed in Germany and Korea, and those spots are highly coveted for being some of the best assignments in the Army. In my case, I was stationed somewhere in the South, which resulted in my wife and I falling in love with the South and deciding to make it our permanent home after I separated. I was deployable as an attending but the Army never actually called me up to deploy.

Reactions: 1 user
@Matthew9Thirtyfive can tell you more about how the Navy handles GMOs, but the last time I looked into it they had a mandatory GMO year after internship for all physicians-in-training.

That's not true anymore. Last I heard from people in the know, a little more than a third of interns head to GMO tours, typically from the more competitive/less deployable specialties; however, even the bigger specialties tend to send at least a few people to GMO land. GMO tours in the Navy are typically 2 years unless you do a flight surgeon or DMO tour, in which case it's 3 (because the schools for those are like 6 months). More specialties are incorporating straight-through contracts, but the majority still have to go through the match again for PGY-2. You can look at the message that comes out every year to see how many spots for incumbent interns there are for PGY-2 per specialty. There are a lot more for things like GS and IM. Things like ophtho and derm have zero spots for interns, so everyone goes to GMO for those specialties.

It typically pans out in the end. In the Army, you are at least as likely to do a battalion surgeon tour after residency (if you stay in) as you are to do a GMO after intern year in the Navy. A lot of the Army docs I've met have done BS tours and complained about the skill atrophy they had after 3 years of essentially doing a GMO tour outside of the specialty they just spend years training in. *shrug* I'd rather do my GMO tour after internship than 3 or 4 years after finishing residency only to have to put the training wheels back on when I come back to my specialty.

Reactions: 2 users