Military Medical School Scholarship... is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixersfan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to whether this scholarship that the military offers where you attend medical school and however many years of schooling that the military pays for, you owe them that many years in return. This of course includes possible active duty over seas. I was wondering others opinions on whether this is worth it or not?

Members don't see this ad.

That is quite literally the main discussion point for most of this forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@dr zaius I am new to SDN so I don't really know the in's and out's of this forum. I looked at the stickies in the military medicine forum as you had told me to do and none of them had replies or seemed to apply to my question. I don't know if there is a way to expand that to more than just 3 stickies to show? If there is I would love to know how to do so. @pgg I simply asked for opinions on the scholarship, hence the word "opinions" in my question. Therefore, I was not looking for anyone to "spoon feed" me, nor was I not trying to look up the information on my own. I was seeking opinions of people who have used this scholarship and wanted their take on it.

@dr zaius I am new to SDN so I don't really know the in's and out's of this forum. I looked at the stickies in the military medicine forum as you had told me to do and none of them had replies or seemed to apply to my question. I don't know if there is a way to expand that to more than just 3 stickies to show? If there is I would love to know how to do so. @pgg I simply asked for opinions on the scholarship, hence the word "opinions" in my question. Therefore, I was not looking for anyone to "spoon feed" me, nor was I not trying to look up the information on my own. I was seeking opinions of people who have used this scholarship and wanted their take on it.
Step 1: Click the "read first" sticky.
Step 2: Read it.
Step 3: Return to the milmed forum home and click the "read next" sticky.
Step 4: Click on the "Military medicine: Pros, cons, and opinions" sticky.
Step 5: Read them.
Step 6: Return to the milmed forum home and click the "search" button.
Step 7: Type in any additional questions you may have and press "enter".
Step 8: Read them.
Step 9: Return to the milmed forum home and feel free to ask any questions that you have not received an answer to after spending a couple of days reading the material on this site.
Step 10: Profit.

Reactions: 1 users
USER=84904]@pgg[/USER] I simply asked for opinions on the scholarship, hence the word "opinions" in my question. Therefore, I was not looking for anyone to "spoon feed" me, nor was I not trying to look up the information on my own. I was seeking opinions of people who have used this scholarship and wanted their take on it.

My apologies, you probably deserve a less snarky answer.

Here's the biggest problem with your question: you give no background and tell us nothing about yourself. We don't know if you're in high school, in college, if you're a non-traditional applicant, if you have prior military service or ROTC time. We don't know if you have existing student loan debt. We don't know if you have any interest in actually being in the military, or if you're approaching this from a purely financial standpoint.

What possible use could random opinions be in helping you with this decision?

There are many thousands of threads on the "should I look at HPSP to pay for medical school" topic, spanning the better part at least the last 20 years.

What you need to do is spend some HOURS reading through this forum, starting with the stickies right at the top.

When you've done so, come back with more specific questions, and any number of the dozen or so regulars here will respond with specific answers and opinions.

Reactions: 2 users
My apologies, you probably deserve a less snarky answer.

Here's the biggest problem with your question: you give no background and tell us nothing about yourself. We don't know if you're in high school, in college, if you're a non-traditional applicant, if you have prior military service or ROTC time. We don't know if you have existing student loan debt. We don't know if you have any interest in actually being in the military, or if you're approaching this from a purely financial standpoint.

What possible use could random opinions be in helping you with this decision?

There are many thousands of threads on the "should I look at HPSP to pay for medical school" topic, spanning the better part at least the last 20 years.

What you need to do is spend some HOURS reading through this forum, starting with the stickies right at the top.

When you've done so, come back with more specific questions, and any number of the dozen or so regulars here will respond with specific answers and opinions.
Thank you for your help @pgg i will look more into these threads!