1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Military & Medical School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FrankMD, Sep 27, 2001.

1. FrankMD

FrankMD Ophthalmologist Wanna Be
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Does anyone know of or is doing something with the armed forces? I am considering the US Navy to pay for my medical school education and serving for the Navy for 4 years after medschool. Any opinion on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DNALadder2002

DNALadder2002 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A few months back, there was an ongoing discussion on medical schools and scholarships from the military. I remember seeing over 150+ post on it in one "title." I would do a "search." I hope this helps.

4. lamyers

lamyers Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just remember, at least in the Army, and I think the Navy is the same way. It's not just four years, as residency does not count. So it's actually 7 plus years to pay back. That's what stopped me(and I'm ex-Army already.)

5. tman

tman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't believe all the stuff you hear from has beens or wannabes on here. If you are interested in military medicine there are plenty of great opportunities. It is definitely not for everyone especially if your motivation is "a free ride", but even most of the HPSP students I know who have taken this route have been pleasently suprised. If military medicine really interests you you should check out www.usuhs.mil. It is a great school (I'm biased because that is where I go). HPSP is also a great way to get a chance to serve in the armed forces. After having spent 12 years (as of today)in the Air Force I can honestly say that I've had a great time and worked with a lot of great people. I look forward to serving in the future as a doc. But as others have said it is definitely not for everyone, especially if you are in it for the $$$$'s. The bottom line is, if you are interested in the military's programs don't let a bunch of people disuade you with their opinions, do some research, discuss it with some real physicians both military and civilian and do what what is right for YOU. Good luck in whatever you decide.

6. jeffls21

jeffls21 New Member

I was in Army ROTC for two years since I was on the college scholarship. This meant I had a service obligation of 8 years. For the army to pick up the tab would mean another 8 years of service, bringing the grand total to 16 years! :eek:

The time alone was deterrant enough for me. If financial issues are your concern, consider the fact that you will be earning considerably less as a military doctor than a civilian one, regardless of your specialty. This difference in salary is significantly greater than the amount of money you'll save by having the military pay for your medical school.

Also, consider the lifestyle of a military doctor. Fewer doctors are needed for the military population which means greater competition for specialties and a lesser chance you'll become the kind of doctor you want. Also, keep in mind the number of extra duties you'll have as an officer of the army. Wartime, fitness, uniform, and relocation obligations. Some consider it a great loss of freedom.

It was a very tough decision for me to make to quit the ROTC program, but I am happy with my choice. Bottom line: you should only take the military route if you truly want to put on the uniform and serve your country.

Hope that helps! :D

7. tman

tman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

"Fewer doctors are needed for the military population which means greater competition for specialties and a lesser chance you'll become the kind of doctor you want."

Jeffls...
    You raise some valid issues as far as payback time goes, I know academy grads who are going to USUHS and they basically will be in for a long time...but hey there are those of us who believe it or not enjoy the military and don't mind making that commitment. It shouldn't be taken lightly. I just wanted to clarify your quote from above. You really shouldn't state your opinion or speculation as fact. The fact of the matter as far as specialty matching in the military goes is that last year at USUHS 85% of graduates not only got their first choice of specialties but also their first choice of residency location. 95+ % got their first choice of specialty. I don't know what the civilian rates are but they can't be a whole lot better that that...Anyway, best of luck to you and much success.