Military Medicine - but no idea what the military is like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Septimusseverus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm compiling a list of medical schools now, and one of them is USUHS (army/navy/air force medical school). I have a secondary from them in which they want an essay elaborating on why I want to do military medicine specifically.

I have 0 experience in the military. I chose this school because I want to serve my country through medicine, I like the tuition benefits they offer, and I like the close-knit military culture that I've heard a lot about.

But that doesn't really sound too heartwarming and compelling in a personal statement... it sounds pretty plain, which I admit it is. Anyone else have this issue? How did you answer the question?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes use those reasons since they are the truth.

I'm compiling a list of medical schools now, and one of them is USUHS (army/navy/air force medical school). I have a secondary from them in which they want an essay elaborating on why I want to do military medicine specifically.

I have 0 experience in the military. I chose this school because I want to serve my country through medicine, I like the tuition benefits they offer, and I like the close-knit military culture that I've heard a lot about.

But that doesn't really sound too heartwarming and compelling in a personal statement... it sounds pretty plain, which I admit it is. Anyone else have this issue? How did you answer the question?

"Though I have 0 experience in the military, I chose this school because I want to serve my country through medicine and I like the close-knit military culture that I've heard a lot about."

You won't be able to fake or fudge military experience, so be honest and upfront about it. Wanting to serve your country and liking the close-knit military culture are good reasons -- use them. You might also want to mention how the tuition benefit means you'll be able to practice in a primary care role without worrying about the debt burden on your family.

Members don't see this ad :)

Those are good answers. Ultimately, your first motivation for joining the military should be service- serving the country and its citizens, serving the Soldiers under you (yes, they have to follow your orders, but YOU have to take care of them) and their dependents. If that's not something that appeals to you than your getting in for the wrong reasons. A good officer is a servant while being a leader.

Other things that might appeal to you would be a leadership experience and discipline the military life instills in you (only if they actually do).

Last edited:

Sounds fine. It might be more about how you explain those statements. Have you tried asking people who have served in the military (recently) about their experience? I bet that would help you with the question. There are some here on SDN too, I think. Experience might vary quite a bit depending on where you get stationed and what kinds of wars/conflicts are going on.

The following paragraphs are some odds and ends or "leads" regarding what it could be like or what you could do with military service:

2nd hand info: My coworker's brother (white guy in his 20's) seemed to be fine serving in Iraq. Said he got lots of gifts, including a free computer from those who "support the troops." Then he renewed his contract with the military voluntarily. A friend of mine (white female late 20's) who served in Afghanistan took up a collection of old t-shirts and stuff here in the USA during breaks from service. Then she would give them to poor Afghan (civilian) families. They both had stops in Germany along the way. Not sure if they got time to hang out or anything there. Then there's a nurse I volunteer with who's in the National Guard. Ever so often, she boards military flights and does "check ups" on troops as they are transported from place to place. What I've described is different than the old war movies (Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now, etc.). From a science perspective, in modern war/military preparedness, there might be a need for analysts of chemical and biological weapons - which I suspect is (not good but) interesting to most medical students.

Joining the military could also be an opportunity to observe first hand why so many troops come home with ptsd and other disabilities, and what can be done about it (better equipment, prior preparation, etc.). If you are so ambitious, you could write a book or just take note. Regarding ptsd, if you were so inclined, you could probably find out what disturbing things cause that and prepare yourself ahead of time for some of it. These days I think that's less common though.

Last edited:
Go spend a few hours here before you jump into military medicine, especially at this stage. It can be a great thing....for some people. You just want to make sure that you are one of those people. Also - a desire to serve is commendable. Just be aware that there are potentially better ways to do so once you are further along.

Sounds fine. It might be more about how you explain those statements. Have you tried asking people who have served in the military (recently) about their experience? I bet that would help you with the question. There are some here on SDN too, I think. Experience might vary quite a bit depending on where you get stationed and what kinds of wars/conflicts are going on.

2nd hand info: My coworker's brother (white guy in his 20's) seemed to be fine serving in Iraq. Said he got lots of gifts, including a free computer from those who "support the troops." Then he renewed his contract with the military voluntarily. A friend of mine (white female late 20's) who served in Afghanistan took up a collection of old t-shirts and stuff here in the USA during breaks from service. Then she would give them to poor Afghan (civilian) families. They both had stops in Germany along the way. Not sure if they got time to hang out or anything there. Then there's a nurse I volunteer with who's in the National Guard. Ever so often, she boards military flights and does "check ups" on troops as they are transported from place to place. What I've described is different than the old war movies (Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now, etc.). From a science perspective, in modern war/military preparedness, there might be a need for analysts of chemical and biological weapons - which I suspect is (not good but) interesting to most medical students.

Joining the military could also be an opportunity to observe first hand why so many troops come home with ptsd and other disabilities, and what can be done about it (better equipment, prior preparation, etc.). If you are so ambitious, you could write a book or just take note. Regarding ptsd, if you were so inclined, you could probably find out what disturbing things cause that and prepare yourself ahead of time for some of it. These days I think that's less common though.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I've also been wondering if military service can suffice as a "residency". Edit: ...if you get the right position.

Most of this is unrelated to military medicine. What does the bolded mean?

OP:

Go read the military forum on SDN, as suggested, with the caveat that it tends to skew negatively.

Also, two entertaining documentaries about milmed are: "Baghdad ER" and "Fighting for Life." They are not holistic overviews or unbiased by any means, but do give you a peek inside military medicine.

Most of this is unrelated to military medicine. What does the bolded mean?

It is ALL related to military medicine because you have to know something about the military to write an "essay elaborating on why [OP] wants to do military medicine specifically." ...as oppose to non-military medicine.

The "bolded" meant, "Can you do your residency while in the military?".

Last edited: