Military Medicine, coming from a Carribean Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how I would go about applying or being apart of military medicine coming from a Caribbean medical school. I understand the HPSP is only offered to US MGs but what other options/avenues are available to US IMGs? Is there a timeline that could be laid out in terms of venturing this path or someone to contact?

Members don't see this ad.

The only options are to graduate and join after. If you do residency in the US, there are opportunities dependent on age such as FAP, TMS, and a couple others that can lead to active duty or reserve depending on the program. Or you can outright join after finishing residency. There are no options that I'm aware of while in school since you are not in a US (or PR) medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
For the Army:
1. Graduate
2. Pass all three parts of the USMLE
3. Obtain your ECFMG
4. Participate in an one year internship in the US that is accredited by the ACGME
5. Apply in the July - October timeframe for residency - here's the kicker to the last requirement, the Army has not accepted applications from anyone other than participants of the HPSP and the Uniformed Services University for the last four years. So, it's pretty much a crap shoot as to if they will in the future...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only options are to graduate and join after. If you do residency in the US, there are opportunities dependent on age such as FAP, TMS, and a couple others that can lead to active duty or reserve depending on the program. Or you can outright join after finishing residency. There are no options that I'm aware of while in school since you are not in a US (or PR) medical school.

Could you elaborate on FAP, TMS and the like? Would it be possible for me to apply for a military residency coming straight out of school?

For the Army:
1. Graduate
2. Pass all three parts of the USMLE
3. Obtain your ECFMG
4. Participate in an one year internship in the US that is accredited by the ACGME
5. Apply in the July - October timeframe for residency - here's the kicker to the last requirement, the Army has not accepted applications from anyone other than participants of the HPSP and the Uniformed Services University for the last four years. So, it's pretty much a crap shoot as to if they will in the future...

Is this the same for the Navy, Airforce and Marines? Are there any stats on IMGs entering the military to help pay back student debt and the like? I was definitely interested in joining the reserves at the least.

Could you elaborate on FAP, TMS and the like? Would it be possible for me to apply for a military residency coming straight out of school?

Technically you can apply, but as another comment laid out, they rarely ever take people who did not complete HPSP or go to USUHS. You also attend a school outside of the US, making it even less likely. Your best bet will be to match in the NRMP match and apply from then. Each service has a few different requirements. For Navy for instance, you must complete your first year of residency before applying for FAP, but I believe can you apply as soon as you match in the first place in Air Force (this I'm not 100% on though).

There are numerous posts on this site regarding FAP, TMS, and others. You can also google and find a lot of info, probably more than I'd have time to add as I'm studying for boards.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The lone US IMG I have seen in the military was already board certified and rejected multiple times before finally being accepted. I have never seen a FMG in the military.

You can try at all stages if you like, but don’t get your hopes up.

The lone US IMG I have seen in the military was already board certified and rejected multiple times before finally being accepted. I have never seen a FMG in the military.

You can try at all stages if you like, but don’t get your hopes up.

I have seen IMGs come in as interns for what it's worth. They were first time applicants as well.

Not going to say it's easy now, but it has happened.

Graduates of a medical schools in South America is what Ive seen.

With HPSP meeting quotas lately and with the deferrals of even American medical graduates nowadays, doubt it will be likely for IMGs nowadays.

One of my attendings in residency is a USFMG, like me, from the same school (in the Caribbean). He was (maybe still is?) a USAR doc. One of the best grand rounds was when he talked about being in the suck. He pointed to something beige, and he said, "It's all that color - your uniform, your food, your vehicles, your buildings, the animals - everything".