Military Move Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njones9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TL;DR Does anyone know of any waiver-equivalents (petitions, appeals, etc.) to be reimbursed for a PPM that you perform before you have your orders?

So I am finishing up my civilian-deferred intern year, and was selected in this year's JSGMESB for a civilian-sponsored (USAF) residency in my specialty of choice, occupational medicine. That program starts July 2nd (as 1st is a Sunday).

To make a very long and extremely frustrating story short, I have still not yet received my orders! I stockpiled all of my vacation time for the whole year (painful) to use during the last two weeks of June so that I could move myself, my wife, and two kids approx 900 miles and get them settled before my new program starts. I gave our landlord the required 60 days' notice back in the middle of April, and since then have been told that my orders are coming "in 1-2 weeks," "next week for sure," "by the end of this week," "early next week" more times than I can count. I realize now that I should not give the .mil so much credit, and to not try to be so slick in planning ahead.

I have tried to acquire a "letter in lieu of orders," but have been assured by the medical officer accessions office that this is not possible as I am currently a civilian (on deferred status). The local travel office has said that I will not be reimbursed for even a PPM (have long since given up hope of having the .mil do the move) if any of my receipts are dated before the date that my orders are published. They swore up and down (after I nearly swore at them) that there is no possible procedure for being retroactively reimbursed if I move before I have my orders.

My question is, for an institution that loves waivers as much as the USAF does, how is it possible that there is not a procedure to move while you wait for your orders to get sorted out? Especially since based on facebook discussions, the exact same thing happened last year (and I am sure many other times in the past)! It sounds like most people in this situation ended up getting their orders the last week of June. Does anyone know of any waiver-equivalents (petitions, appeals, etc.) to be reimbursed for a PPM that you perform before you have your orders?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. Feel your pain.

Just save all of your receipts, and dig in, for now.

It is a limbo period often experienced by new accessions into the military.

Focus your attention on the admin staff at your recieving command, who ever is responsible for you military wise, while in civilian residency.

It is a doozy, for sure.

Good luck.