Military neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am an incoming intern into a civillian neurosurgery residency. I have no affiliation with the military, but have always wanted to serve. The option I am thinking about is taking the FAP for the last 2 years of my residency and then serving three years. Any thoughts would be appreciated about if this is a good idea. Also, if anyone could offer guidance as to regular military vs joining the reserves.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find where (geographically) current military neurosurgeons are stationed (any branch). I would prefer to be stationed in a large medical center, and want to see what proportion of jobs are in big hospitals versus community centers. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you do your reading on this forum a bit before signing on.

For the Navy, you will only be at one of the major MTFs including Portsmouth VA, San Diego CA, or Washington DC. Although Camp Lejeune NC is attempting to make a go at being a trauma center so there may be a possibility of going there.

For the other services think large centers. San Antonio, Tripler (I believe), etc. the only overseas possibility might be Landstuhl Germany?

For what its worth, there is a Neurosurgeon in Okinawa.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The downside to the Reserve or Guard is you have to balance a military and civilian career. This means finding a practice that can accommodate your absence for potentially extended periods of time. This means most likely limiting yourself to large groups in large cities though this fortunately sounds like what you want. Even in optimal employment settings, getting time off for training or deployments will never be as easy or guilt free as it would be on active duty.

The upside is that you have far more control over your life. You live where you want. You work where you want. You control the acuity and variety of patients you treat. It's far easier on a family and skill atrophy is less of an issue. I'm biased but I think the vast majority of physicians are better served in the reserve component and even more so for those who have perishable procedural skills.

Thanks! Can I just ask how deployments work in the reserves? Also how long is the minimum commitment for the reserves?