Military officers and political involvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InertiaCreeps

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the political frenzy of this last election cycle is over with I'm considering becoming actively involved with my own political party or another political cause. I'm HPSP currently in medicia school and I was wondering if such policitical activism by a military officer is considered appropriate. Any opinions or experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Now that the political frenzy of this last election cycle is over with I'm considering becoming actively involved with my own political party or another political cause. I'm HPSP currently in medicia school and I was wondering if such policitical activism by a military officer is considered appropriate. Any opinions or experience?

Until you are on active duty and not wearing a uniform. You are Joe (or Josephine) citizen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is fine. Political activity is fine, political partisanship is not. I remember that "skirt-chasing" comment back in the Clinton years, and it was disgraceful. I still shudder a little inside when I see a bird sticker on the front of a car, and campaign bumper sticker on the back.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I'm a bit young to recall the skirt-chasing comment you mention. Would you mind filling me in?

once you come on active duty (or during any periods of active duty) there are a myriad of rules/regulations which govern what can and cannot be done in the political arena. The best bet is to become very familiar with them or speak with the base legal office for clarification. The main fact is that you are not allowed to use your position as an officer in any way. Things like attending meetings in uniform or using your rank are big no no's.

Some things are okay: attending meetings, placing a campaign sticker on your car, having one small sign in your yard (unless you live on base), things like this.

It is a huge gray area though. Some people as mentioned above claim to not vote to remain or keep the appearances of being nonpartisan. I personally don't think that is a responsible use of ones rights as a citizen. Just because you vote one way or the other doesn't mean you can't follow the orders if "the other man/woman" wins the election.

I have no doubt, not one, that if our Battalion Commander told his Marines to go to the polls and vote for McCain, >80% would have done so. That influence is what makes partisanship among Officers dangerous.

For a CO or someone in a position of authority to do this would be blatantly wrong. Just because you vote for someone doesn't mean that you have to go around and tell everyone else to vote for him. Telling people who to vote for or even making comments that may come off as partisan during a talk or other official function should not be tolerated at all. This however does not mean that you should not vote. To pretend that you can remain nonpartisan by not voting doesn't work for me.

For a CO or someone in a position of authority to do this would be blatantly wrong. Just because you vote for someone doesn't mean that you have to go around and tell everyone else to vote for him. Telling people who to vote for or even making comments that may come off as partisan during a talk or other official function should not be tolerated at all. This however does not mean that you should not vote. To pretend that you can remain nonpartisan by not voting doesn't work for me.

At my command, during a CO's all hands call, the CO said "Everyone should vote. I'm a Naval aviator so I'm sticking with McCain, but maybe you young folks feel differently. Either way you should vote." After that the voting officer had a surge of young African Americans asking to be registered.

At my command, during a CO's all hands call, the CO said "Everyone should vote. I'm a Naval aviator so I'm sticking with McCain, but maybe you young folks feel differently. Either way you should vote." After that the voting officer had a surge of young African Americans asking to be registered.

I hope the legal officer had a talk with said CO. Even if I agree with what someone is saying I always cringe when I'm sitting in a lecture/commanders call/etc and someone makes a political comment. There is just no room for that kind of thing in the military. I put it up there with the trouble the Air Force has had recently regarding evangalism.

Haha, backfired on him a little bit. That was a great election. I'm glad that we finally had two good candidates to choose from. :thumbup:

McCain would have been a great president in 2000... too bad the Bush campaign smeared him :(