military or civilian route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maesizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating taking the HPSP scholarship with the Air Force and if not that, possibly looking into FAP after medical school (I'm entering med school for c/o 2015). My boyfriend is commissioning into the AF in 2 years.

How difficult would it be to be matched into a mil intern year and then a gmo or residency spot in the same location he might be at? Would it be easier for me to wait to see where he is stationed upon my graduation in order to apply for residencies near his base?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to predict. Generally speaking the military won't couples detail you unless you are married. If you both went to an undesirable location it might be easier.

if i did end up going the civilian route (seems more likely as time goes on), would it be possible to work for a military hospital once finished with residency without joining the military? i assume it's possible under a contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i did end up going the civilian route (seems more likely as time goes on), would it be possible to work for a military hospital once finished with residency without joining the military? i assume it's possible under a contract.

It's possible. Obviously, there is a lot of variability based on location and specialty. My wife has contemplated working for military medicine as a civilian even when it wasn't the only option.

The military will give zero consideration to co-locating you with a boyfriend. They will give some consideration to stationing you with a spouse, but even then it is subject to the requirements of the service.

The bottom line is this: if your number one goal is to stay together, then you are in a much better position to make that happen as a civilian than you are in uniform. There are probably some exceptions to this rule, but not many.

thanks for your responses!

this wouldn't be happening for a good 4 more years, so it's just food for thought right now.

it might, however, sway my already doubtful mind to just loaning for medical school.