military pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winston Smith

i didn't do it
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the discrepency from pay for military v. civilian physicians? I am told that as the level of specialization increases so does the pay difference but I'm unable to find any numerical values associated with this.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure the numbers, but here's a website for it:
http://militarypay.dtic.mil/actives/pay/bp/paytables/Jan2002.html
Doctors are usually commissioned as Captains in the army and air force, which is an O-3. According to that chart, O-3s make about $2800 a month, but I'm pretty sure doctors get more than regular captains. Also remember to add other benefits such as housing allowance, health insurance...

however you look at it though, military docs make a lot less than their civilian counterparts.

dpy

military doctors get what is called specialized pay, which differs in each specialty. Usually paid as a lump sum at the begining of the year ranges from 12-40K after residency, also incentive pays are monthly bonuses that get tagged on to the base pay. Note that you'll get paid more during your residency than a civvy but a little less than one out of residency. Some of that is off set by not paying for health care, housing (BAH), food (BAS), as well as no overhead cost or insurance premiums to pay.