Military Physician Applying for Civillian Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravager135

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted in military forums as well...

Situation: I am a Navy flight surgeon with a committment expiring in June 2013. At that time I plan to enter a civillian residency in one of the ROAD specialities.

I am looking for information and trying to dispell a myth or two I heard...

1. Have people heard of residencies offering military physicians positions outside the match based on interview? I am a DO so this might be somewhat easier, but I have heard rumor of physicians contacting individual programs and essentially applying like a regular job applicant. The idea is that since a military physician is already licensed, has considerable experience, an impressive resume, etc that these programs will view these individuals differently from the match of fourth years.

2. Is this June 2011 the appropriate time to start my application process? I am told applying two years out is neccessary since I have already completed internship and I need a year anyway for the normal application process.

3. If 1. is not a possibility and 2. remains true, I am assuming I start with ERAS as my first step. I am simply looking for guidance on where to begin as it has been awhile since I've thought about these issues and I largely ignored the application process in med school because I knew I was going to a military transitional internship.

Anyone who has been down this road before please offer any insight into the response residency programs had towards your application coming from the military and where you started.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.