Military physician pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summerlax2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently considering USUHS (PHS is my top choice) with the intent of pursuing emergency medicine. While my decision is not based on my as I do want to serve my country, I am trying to figure out pay for a military ER doc.

I have not been able to find the attending pay, nor the speciality bonus. Seeing as it is 10years payback I am trying to get all the information in order to make the best decision for me.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

With all pay and bonuses somewhere above 125K

Things to consider
Base pay = dependent on years of service and rank. After medical school you'll be an O3 and six years after graduation you'll be an O4

BAH = basic allowance for housing and is variable depending on location

Bonus pay = currently in flux unsure what actual amounts will be but detailed information should be coming in the next 3-4 months

As a resident you can expect to make 70K or more and as an attending you can expect to make 110K or more

As stated above, your base pay depends on your rank and time in service. This is easily available. Same thing with basic allowance for housing, this is dependent on location and whether you have any dependents (wife or kids). You will get a basic allowance for subsistence which is standard for all. Once you graduate residency, you will get a $15K yearly bonus. The ER bonus is $26K per year. Keep in mind both of these bonuses have to be signed for on a year to year basis so it's not automatic. One comes in July the other in October. There is a variable specialty pay that ranges from $100-1000/month based on time in service. There is board specialty pay which is about $300/month (once one has passed specialty board).

So all in all, depending on one's geographic location of their duty station your salary as a Captain through Major will be anywhere from $120-150K/year. A LTC or COL may make closer to $180-200K with multiyear bonuses. Remember the BAH is not taxed. You also could get out paying state tax if you are a primary resident of state without state tax.

Members don't see this ad :)
With all pay and bonuses somewhere above 125K

Things to consider
Base pay = dependent on years of service and rank. After medical school you'll be an O3 and six years after graduation you'll be an O4

BAH = basic allowance for housing and is variable depending on location

Bonus pay = currently in flux unsure what actual amounts will be but detailed information should be coming in the next 3-4 months

As a resident you can expect to make 70K or more and as an attending you can expect to make 110K or more

My information packet from USUHS showed residency/fellowship pay to be 81k , 86k, 91k, 100k for 1st 2nd 3rd year is this inaccurate ?

My information packet from USUHS showed residency/fellowship pay to be 81k , 86k, 91k, 100k for 1st 2nd 3rd year is this inaccurate ?
Maybe if you stay in Meto dc for residency. I'm a pgy-3 abd have been under 80 all 3 years. A lot depends on where you live. Living 12 months witha BAH at 2700 a month vs 1400 makes a big difference for annual income.

As someone who did residency in the area, that seems a little inaccurate, although maybe with time accrued at USUHS it might be correct. However, I'm not sure there's such a big jump between first year and fourth year of residency.

As someone who did residency in the area, that seems a little inaccurate, although maybe with time accrued at USUHS it might be correct. However, I'm not sure there's such a big jump between first year and fourth year of residency.

Yeah it surprised me too! I might be wrong with the starting number but I know the 4th year pay is listed as like 100,768 or something