Military Psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appelsoranjes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm working as a Health Psychologist in a big-city VA (making around 90k) at GS-13 level. I'm kinda burned out (high case load) and especially tired of the huge cost of living vs commute aspects of where I live. I also am quite nomadic and like frequent changes of scenery - so I've been considering a military psychologist path... any idea what the salary would be like (I've been told I would likely come in as a 'Major' given my experience)? I also hear that a certain portion of your salary is untaxed, and there is some housing benefit on top of your salary - anybody got some hard numbers they could share? Also, how likely is it to be able to chose your assignments - I'd like to spend a few years overseas (germany, korea, wherever)...

Members don't see this ad.

You'll come in as a captain, and make less than you're making now. Expect a deployment overseas as well.

You'll come in as a captain, and make less than you're making now. Expect a deployment overseas as well.

Students who join as interns enter as captains. Are you sure someone who is already licensed and working in the field would also join at that rank? I had heard major as well, so I'm curious.

Anyway, OP, you can take a look at this chart to get an idea of pay http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

Note that that doesn't include benefits like stipends for housing, moving, and food costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a psychologist starting starting at Major with no prior service, you would receive $7121.36 per month in DC. This includes your basic pay plus food and housing allowance. In addition to this, you would get an annual bonus if board certified, great insurance, and probably some sort of sign on bonus. It may be a better deal financially than what you are receiving now?

Last edited:
Do not go into the military if you do not want to serve (first) because the lifestyle is very different than anywhere else. If you are burned out now, it probably won't be any less busy, and you'll have additional considerations to navigate (confidentiality is different, etc.). I have friends who are in the army and navy, and they both work hard but seem to enjoy the lifestyle of serving.

My understanding is that you get choice in assignments when they are trying to entice you to stay in longer. Of course this means you have to get used to the idea of having no choice sometimes--especially if we get tangled up in another combat operation.

Definitely don't go for the money, but if the lifestyle is for you, you'll love it.

Personally I am still on internship (and may be forever at this point it feels like), but I do get paid very well. O-4 is a good way to start, 20 years goes by fast, it really does, so if you are below age 42, I would certainly consider it. If there is any way they can use your GS time towards a military retirement offset, I would find it. Ask questions, know what you're biting off, and then go enjoy it if it is for you.

I wouldn't trade the military lifestyle for much (and initially I hated it!). I have 14 years of active duty service, 9 of that was enlisted while working on aircraft and computers. 5 of it, well, commissioned as an officer and in a training environment.

This might be a naive question.
But do you have to serve before being a military psychologist, as in do you need prior military experience before, or does it go along the lines of, you are a psychologist and then you join the military and apply for the position?. I hope that makes sense.

This might be a naive question.
But do you have to serve before being a military psychologist, as in do you need prior military experience before, or does it go along the lines of, you are a psychologist and then you join the military and apply for the position?. I hope that makes sense.

You do not need prior military service. You can enter a few different ways: (1) obtain a scholarship while in graduate school, (2) match to a military internship, (3) directly join after you are licensed psychologist