Military Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Navy medical student currently undergoing my 3rd year of medical school. I was wandering if there is anybody who is in the military that knows about the NAVY radiology residencies? Difficulties getting in? Possibilities of doing a GMO beforehand? Deferements?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

http://rad.usuhs.mil/rad/handouts/lonergan/residency_selection/

Follow the link above. It gives you insight into what is factored into it. It has been very competetive in the past 3 years. You will, no doubt, have to do GMO time, Flight Surgery, or Undersea Medicine prior to getting picked up. Visit and interview at the 3 hospitals.

There is a course at San Diego that was headed up by CDR Morrissette that is called Radiology for the Operational Medical Officer in the Spring. It's purpose is to get everyone interested in Radiology and apply for their program.

Bethesda and San Diego are competetive with the educational standards and experiences that you get in the civilian arena. San Diego and Bethesda have the highest cost of living compared to Portsmouth, VA. I would rank them in this order:
1) Bethesda
2) San Diego
3) Portsmouth (They are just starting in July 2003)

If you have not already taken an HPDP scholarship, an additional pathway to military radiology is to accept the commision AFTER you have matched into radiology. They will pay you a nice stipend that can be used to repay your medical school debts, and you are guaranteed to enter active duty as a fully qualified radiologist, without the need for the more mundane GMO, flight surgeon, etc. time.

I think Optho_MudPhud is doing this in optho and may be able to give you pointers.

Regards,

Peter