Military Reimbursement Issue/ after 60 days from purchase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karsten Hain

Clinically Acceptable
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post after becoming a new member, I've lurked a little bit here and have found some useful things. I am a second year Navy HPSP dental student at UDMercy and recently purchased Loupes from a reputable manufacturer but it took many frustrated phone calls, emails and even letter writings to get a receipt for them, by which time the 60 days from date of purchase the HPSP handbook calls for has passed. Conventional wisdom tells me I am going to eat the cost of the things but I would like to know if anyone has experience with reimbursement after the 60 day time frame has passed?

Sincerely,

Karsten Hain

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post after becoming a new member, I've lurked a little bit here and have found some useful things. I am a second year Navy HPSP dental student at UDMercy and recently purchased Loupes from a reputable manufacturer but it took many frustrated phone calls, emails and even letter writings to get a receipt for them, by which time the 60 days from date of purchase the HPSP handbook calls for has passed. Conventional wisdom tells me I am going to eat the cost of the things but I would like to know if anyone has experience with reimbursement after the 60 day time frame has passed?

Sincerely,

Karsten Hain

You should be fine. In my experience the Navy has been really easy to work with in regard to reimbursements. If I were you I would just call the reimbursements section and explain the situation. If you need a number and the name of a person to speak with PM me and I'll give you the info.

I submitted plenty of late ones, and it was never a problem. It wasn't for any of my friends in other branches either. The only difficulty arises 1) if you try to get reimbursement across fiscal years (they end in October) and 2) if you submit your very last reimbursement late. I got it, but it ended up coming a couple of months after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the response. I will call in the morning.

I emailed my concerns along with my forms for reimbursement and received a favorable response, which I have pasted here:

ENS Hain,
You have submitted what appear to be reasonable and verifiable receipts
within the correct fiscal year. There should be no problem reimbursing
you. It is the graduating seniors that we ask to have their
reimbursements in 60 days before they graduate, so we have processing
time. We ask all other students to submit their requests as soon as
they can, but as long as the request is in before the end of September (
the end of the military's fiscal year), all is good!

Best wishes,
Sandra Yerkes