1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

military reservists... while in med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ttac, Apr 3, 2002.

1. ttac

ttac Trust me, it's still fun.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi everybody,
    Well, since I have read a few posts from military people here, I thought I'd ask if anyone was (or is) in a similar situation, and what they did...

Here goes:

I'm currently a combat engineer officer (company XO) in the Army National Guard, and I have been for the past 5 years. I had a 3-year Army ROTC scholarship when I was in college, and I have had the opportunity to attend some hooah training(i.e. active duty Sapper Leader Course, OBC). I still owe the Army until 2005 (although after talking to some recruiter/personnel people this morning, I think I only owe until 2003 until I can go IRR for 2 years).

My dilemma is that I will be starting med school this august, and if I choose to go to a civilian school, I still owe the Army reserve time until I finish repaying them for the ROTC scholarship I had. However, I don't know if I will be able to afford to give up one weekend per month while in med school. As a combat arms officer, there is much more to the job than just showing up on saturday morning, and leaving on sunday night. One definitely has to put in the time during the week and I doubt if I would be able to afford that amount of time when in med school.

Are there any other reservists (either officer or enlisted) who are planning on continuing reserve duty while in med school, or does anyone know of other people who have? Are there any kind of deferments that I could take to serve my reserve time after I finish med school? The people I talked to today made it sound like I don't have any other options other than finding myself a reserve med service corps unit and drilling while in med school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ttac

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. strider

strider Member
    10+ Year Member

Another consideration may be that unlike the good old days, you can't count on NOT deploying while in the reserves. Could you afford to deploy for a couple of months while in school if your unit was activated? I'm a pilot in the Navy and am not joining a guard unit when I get out just for that reason. Maybe your specialty is different and you don't have to worry about it...

Cheers, strider

4. Droopy

Droopy Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by strider:
    <strong>Another consideration may be that unlike the good old days, you can't count on NOT deploying while in the reserves. Could you afford to deploy for a couple of months while in school if your unit was activated? I'm a pilot in the Navy and am not joining a guard unit when I get out just for that reason. Maybe your specialty is different and you don't have to worry about it...

Cheers, strider</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i definitely agree with strider. i am on active duty but do not want to be recalled while in med school so i will probably not go to the reserves. if another sept 11 event happens, you could get easily called back to duty. i am an i.t. manager in the coast guard and the cg has deemed this as a critical rate (b/c we are currently in a shortfall of i.t. people) which means there could be a likelihood of being recalled to active duty.
    you might be able to work something out with the recruiter/personnel but there is always a chance of getting screwed (speaking from experience).

5. Droopy

Droopy Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    strider,
    i sent you a PM.
    Droopy :)

6. HPSP

HPSP Member
    7+ Year Member

ttac,
    You should be able to get a deferment on the remaining ROTC obligation while you are in med school. If your unit won't cooperate with you on this, contact the health care recruiter at the state Guard HQ and let him know that you could serve the remainder of your obligation as a Doctor. He can probably help you get the deferment.
    To the rest of you, thanks for serving and good luck.
    SSG Gray
    Health Care Recruiter
    U.S. Army

7. ttac

ttac Trust me, it's still fun.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks to all that replied. While I haven't yet decided on which route (civ/mil) I will be taking, I wanted to be sure that I knew exactly what each route entailed before making my decision.

Yes, there is the distinct possibility that I might be called up if I continued to drill while in med school (if that were even feasible) so that is a pretty big factor in my mind. Thanks for reinforcing that point.

-ttac

8. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

For strider, et al:

I am also an active duty navy pilot (TAR) leaving for med school in August. I'm joining my home state's Army National Guard as a medical admin type.

The Army National Guard actually has a non-deployable billet for medical students and residents while in training. The Navy does not, that I could find out about anyway!

"Q. ACTIVATION, CALL-UPS, I'M CONCERNED ABOUT IMMEDIATE MOBILIZATION. WHAT RULES APPLY TO ME?
    A. For Federal duty, normally officers are not eligible for mobilization until they are fully qualified in their military specialty. For health care professionals this means, medical students in the early commissioning program are not eligible for mobilization. Residents are not considered "fully qualified" because they have not completed the one-year requirement for an unrestricted license. Physicians and health professionals that are fully qualified must preplan for the possibility of activation. Programs have been developed to assist the family with transition and support, at and during activation. "

I plan to drill each month and do AT/ADT over holiday break.

You should also be aware that rescheduling drill weekend is almost never a problem, and you can get a waiver for your annual AT (the 12/15 days) if needed.

I've been on active duty for almost 13 years so I have no committment of any kind and therefore can tell the ANG to "sniff it" if drilling becomes too much of a redass but an extra $600/month during school will come in handy and seems worth one weekend of my time!

Best,

Spang

9. Droopy

Droopy Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    thanks Spang for making this subject more clear.

Droopy

10. strider

strider Member
    10+ Year Member

pmed you spang....strider

11. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

strider....didn't get your pm...pm'ed you

Spang

12. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

13. armymt

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hello Sir,
    I apologize, I know this thread is a few years old, but I was wondering what did you decided on doing. What happenned? Did you drill while you were in medical school? I see you are a resident now. Congratulations! Wow, that is great!

Well, my situation is similar. I am currently an Officer in the Army Reserves; AOC is Clinical laboratory. I want to keep my AOC and my rank while in medical school. I am not sure if this is possible. The people I have contacted don't have an answer for me. I do not want to do HPSP/USUSH, and become a 2LT again.

Please any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your service. God bless