Military Residencies for non-military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any FP/Wilderness/Rural residencies out there for non-military?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No.

You could do rotations at a VA but their are no military residencies for non-military personnel

Actually the AF does offer Civilians residency spots. The process is a bit complicated but an AF medical recruiter can explain it. The AF is the only branch that currently offers residency spots to non-military.

Members don't see this ad :)
csullivan said:
Actually the AF does offer Civilians residency spots. The process is a bit complicated but an AF medical recruiter can explain it. The AF is the only branch that currently offers residency spots to non-military.

Do you know, are these spots given to military first and only to civilian if they are not filled with their own students?

For Internal Medicine it was explained to me by a Col. Downs who heads the IM dept. at Lackland. It is a point based system with points awarded in 5 areas. One of those areas is military service so if you have time in or come from a military program you are more likely to get a spot. However, I know for certain that a civilian can match with the AF in IM. I did match this past year with the AF. I turned down the offer though as seems to be a general mood of the board found out: the recruiter was not completely honest with information. This comes from speaking to the doctors once I got into the interview phase who were much more open and honest with me. They do have a retention problem and the only person I spoke with who knew for certain he would stay was the Col. Everyone else was either getting out or seriously considering. That was a huge red flag in my mind. Which is unfortunate as I was very impressed with every physician I spoke to while at Lackland and Keesler.

Addendum. One of the areas you get points in was research. I have a graduate degree so made up a lot of lost military points in that area. So that might be why I was accepted. It was never mentioned that military personnel took priorty over civilian except by the "extra" points they got for having service time in.