Military Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Platz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-med student who has been accepted into the UHS class of 2005. I am looking to the military scholarship for medical school. Right now, I think I want to go into OMM for a career, so I would HAVE to have a civilian residency if I got the military scholarship. Is it hard to get a civilian residency? Can I get it in writing from the military recruiters? What are things I need to look out for concerning the scholarship? Does anyone know anyone who used a lot of OMM while a Fam. Prac. Doc in the miliatary? Any info will be great.

Kyle Platz
[email protected]

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Platz,

Most DOs that focus on OMM have completed a residency in Family Practice. As a doctor in the military, you can use you OM skill in any field you decide to enter. If you are selected for a HPSP scholarship you are obligated to complete a Miliatry Residency unless you do not match to one. For example, in the Army you are almost guaranteed to match to a Army Residency. The Navy and Airforce have less residency slots available, so there is a chance of not matching and getting a deferment to do a civilian residency. You do not have to do a civilian residency to focus on OMM. You can do a Family Practice residency in the Military and make OMM a part of your practice. The miliatry welcomes the use of OMM and it has proven itself as an effective modality. We just had a Captain from the Navy come and speak at CCOM and he actively uses OMT in his practice. I will try and get his e-mail for you. If you have any questions about the Army specifically, drop me an e-mail and I will answer any questions you may have.