Military Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about military residencies like if they are standard length programs and how many hours a week they work the residents during the programs?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have been told by program directors and other military docs they are comparable to civilian programs in those aspects...Ive heard some people say they are good about abiding by the 80 hour workweek (FM residents) limit but others (GSurgeons) say that wasnt the case in their program.
As far as quality, it depends on specialty and who you ask but the pay is much better
The #1 issue with residencies in the military is getting the one you want without first being utilized as a GMO for a few years

Members don't see this ad :)
What is a GMO?

General Medical Officer...it is being utilized as a physician after PGY-1. The services use GMOs in a variety of ways but it is essentially a couple years gap between PGY-1 and the rest of residency outside of your chosen specialty.

This is all discussed at length on this thread...if youre seriously considering military medicine I urge you to read through the stickies and threads here to learn about all the pros and cons (there are a lot of both and the cons are deal breakers for many) before you commit to anything

Didn't want to start a new thread, so i'll just ask here:

I was looking at the Airforces HPERB for 2009 and noticed that several residencies are civilian sponsored. Do you maintain all of the pay/privileges of being a military doctor during civilian sponsored residencies? Or are you sort of released for your residency then have to come back and finish up your commitment when it's over?

Thanks for any info.

Oh, and for fellowships: If I owed 5 years going into a 2 year fellowship, would i still just owe 5 years when i was finished, or would i now owe 7 years?

Last edited: