military residency or civilian for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc_Ock

First Aid is life
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First year HPSP DO student here (feel free to move but I posted here instead of military medicine because I want civilian input): how do employers look at people who did military residencies? I know there's a stigma against DO's even if they go to an ACGME residency (and we're basically limited to mid-tier anyway), I was just wondering if maybe a military residency maybe counteracted that (plus obviously the job experience from serving our time commitment)? Or no difference? Interested in rads btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you finish residency, there is only a bias in academics. As a DO who wants a competitive ACGME residency, the military isn’t a bad option. If you come out of the military as a residency trained radiologist, you’ll have no trouble getting a job.

Agree. With the exception of some "elite" academic environments, no one cares about your degree after residency. The same as no one cared about your undergrad institution when you were a resident. The urologist I see (therefore consider the best) is a DO, and the orthopedic surgeon most consider the best at our hospital is a DO. I worked with them for about a decade until I realized their degree. No one cares.

is experience in milmed looked upon one way or another in your experience?