All Branch Topic (ABT) Military Residency training and deployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aPeainthePod

Pod-Guy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I don't know if this has already been asked, atleast I didn't find it through the search box.
I wanted to know whether the residents (PGY 1,2,3) get deployed overseas during training? May be during war times or for whatever else reason (with security forces etc)?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Physicians in graduate medical education programs do not deploy. It is possible to rotate overseas at a military treatment facility (e.g. Landstuhl), but that's not a deployment.*

*Statements do not apply during any east Asian land war.

Reactions: 1 user
Physicians in graduate medical education programs do not deploy. It is possible to rotate overseas at a military treatment facility (e.g. Landstuhl), but that's not a deployment.*

*Statements do not apply during any east Asian land war.

Thank you for your response!

So, you are saying that if a War breaks out, deployment of unlicenced residents may very likely occur; or has occured in the past?

Thank you for your response!

So, you are saying that if a War breaks out, deployment of unlicenced residents may very likely occur; or has occured in the past?

The military is going to require you to get an unrestricted medical license anyway. IIRC, the deadline is the end of the PGY-2 year for those still in training - sooner if you're doing a GMO tour.

The last part was tongue-in-cheek. I'm just suggesting that if we start pulling residents out of training to deploy, it's because we're short on manpower, probably due to a huge WWIII-type conflict. The military has been substantially taxed since 2011 WRT operational tempo, but there's never been a danger residents manning field hospitals.