Military residency vs. civilian residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDB0073

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the general attitude towards military residency? Are they considered inferior, superior, or the same compared to civilian residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

MDB0073 said:
Whats the general attitude towards military residency? Are they considered inferior, superior, or the same compared to civilian residencies?

You are going to get a variety of opinions here.

Military residencies are equivalanet to community based hospital programs. They are not in line with University programs and forget about good or great University programs.

Now you will have a host of peple saying Im wrong. But look for yourself. Whatever civilian medical school you are at compare your rotations there to ones you do while on AT. Military residencies are just not on par.

My experience has been that graduatuates of military residencies score higher on tests like board exams. For my speciality our national pass rate is 50% but everyone in my class passed the boards. I think the truth is they are different. For example military residency has better training in occupational medicine. It all depends on what your personal goals are.

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:
My experience has been that graduatuates of military residencies score higher on tests like board exams. For my speciality our national pass rate is 50% but everyone in my class passed the boards. I think the truth is they are different. For example military residency has better training in occupational medicine. It all depends on what your personal goals are.

Until you start pulling out real stats thats just anecdotal BS.

Didactics are important but the clinical aspects more so. Seriously op do a rotation and you will see for yourself...

I'm confused by your response. I was the chief resident of my program. I know for a fact that we had a 90% board passing rate. The national average for my speciality is 50%. Boards are the gold standard for evaluating a physician's competence. This supports the observation that military training programs are good. Do you have a different personal observation?

It's not practical to pull out "real stats". I've never seen board pass rates from other programs. My experience has been this information is unavailble. Nobody wants to compare programs this way.

usnavdoc said:
Until you start pulling out real stats thats just anecdotal BS.

Didactics are important but the clinical aspects more so. Seriously op do a rotation and you will see for yourself...

IgD said:
I'm confused by your response. I was the chief resident of my program. I know for a fact that we had a 90% board passing rate. The national average for my speciality is 50%. Boards are the gold standard for evaluating a physician's competence. This supports the observation that military training programs are good. Do you have a different personal observation?

It's not practical to pull out "real stats". I've never seen board pass rates from other programs. My experience has been this information is unavailble. Nobody wants to compare programs this way.

I meant that your observations within your program(I assume occupational medicine per your previous post?) are fine but hard to draw conclusions across the board with other programs. Therefore I would not agree that by your single observations that all military programs are "good".

That being said I do not think they are bad just not the same caliber as a University programs. My personal experience at Portsmouth NMC and San Diego NMC as well as Camp Lejeune NMC are that at best they are on par with community hospitals.

OP there was a long somewhat heated discussion about this topic several weeks back. Just do a search. You will see both sides of the table. I just reccomend that the op go and see for himself after completing his M3 year at his civilian school.