Military residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how difficult is it to get a military residency if your grades are mediocre? Specifically, I'm talking about the Army for Internal Med. If you don't match, is is likely that you would get picked up in the scramble? Also, are there any ways to improve your chances of matching?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to match in the military is to do a 'clerkship' for 4 weeks as a medical student or subintern. Walter Reed is one of the best Army medical centers. Good luck.

Platinumdoc,
Thanks for the response. Why makes Walter Reed one of teh best Army med centers, in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: Matching in IM in military residency.
It is not that difficult to match in military IM residency. Walter Reed is a good site, but so is MAMC, which is where I am. Bottom line is that you will leave with the same knowledge and training. WR has no better of a name, unless you are in Path (AFIP) than does BAMC, MAMC, WBAMC, TAMC. MAMC has a great staff and an excellent teaching program. Plus the schedule is kinder than many. Think location. Where do you want to be for years. That is one of the most important questions.

You missed Womack AMC and Eisenhower AMC in your lists.