Military Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeon2b forev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with military surgery training? I'm especially curious about WORKING in the military as a trauma surgeon. Not that I wanna do it; rather, I'm just curious. They must be REALLY good.. .can you imagine the stuff they see and do now a days?
'

Members don't see this ad.

Try the military forums. Last I checked there were a lot of people bemoaning the poor state of miitary medicine.

I don't htink residents see any front-line trauma. I certainly hope that will be done by the time you finish residency in 6+ years.

Anyway - if you want to do that, it's probably a better idea to do civilian training and then join after residency should you desire. They always needs surgeons during wartime - you won't lose any opportunities by training civilian (and can probably find more trauma civ than mil at this point anyway.)

I am an attending in a military surgical training program, and can assure you that military residents and even most attendings are not uniquely good at trauma. This may seem strange, but it is true. With the exception of Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, no military hospital in the states actually accepts level one trauma. The residents get trauma experience by rotating at nearby civilian hospitals. The residents do get good at managing the chronic wounds in the returning soldiers, but wound washouts and VAC dressing changes are not all that exciting to most surgeons. I think most residents feel that the excessive volume of chronic post-trauma patients is a detriment to their training, not a positive.

As far as attendings go, most military surgeons have very low-volume, low-acuity practices, and there can be significant skill atrophy. Frankly, I believe that military practice leaves its surgeons uniquely UN-prepared to deal with major trauma. Luckily, there is a rapid learning curve if one happens to be deployed to one of the combat support hospitals in Iraq, and most surgeons do become adept at resuscitation and stabilization by the end of their tour. But 99% of those surgeons never use those skills again, because they go back to doing hernias and lap-chole's on healthy 25 year-olds, exit the military ASAP, and try to forget that they ever set foot in Iraq.

I would strongly discourage anyone from having a romanticized view of military trauma. Frankly, the decision tree in blast injuries is rarely complex or interesting from an operative standpoint. It's the same damn thing over and over--stop bleeding, fluid resuscitate, stabilize fracture, debride dead tissue, pack wound open, move to next level of care. The transmediasteinal GSW that you see at LA County every weekend is way more complex than a traumatic amputation from a land mine.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but if you want to be a great trauma surgeon, I would stay away from the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as attendings go, most military surgeons have very low-volume, low-acuity practices, and there can be significant skill atrophy.

FliteSurgn has several intersting posts along those lines if you want to search. As I recall his low-volume "surgical" practice was primarily endoscopy.

Anyone have any experience with military surgery training? I'm especially curious about WORKING in the military as a trauma surgeon. Not that I wanna do it; rather, I'm just curious. They must be REALLY good.. .can you imagine the stuff they see and do now a days?
'

I'm currently in a 'military' surgery program. I rotate at the base maybe once a year; some of my co-military prelim interns won't rotate there at all. This is less true with the Army and Navy, but they still need to farm their people out for trauma, transplant, pediatrics, etc.

Mitchconnie is exactly right- trauma ain't happenin' at most military hospitals. The one base I was at where they did do trauma, they seemed to do it badly. It was disorganized as ER and surgery alternated each day as to who was running the trauma. As a result, everyone was trying to be in charge. When a high level trauma patient came in (e.g. GSW), it was a cluster as everyone wanted to get it on the action. There also wasn't a designated trauma surgery team. Instead, it was split between two general surgery services. So you would have to deal with Level I Trauma as well as clinic/floor work/ scheduled OR cases.

It's quite telling, I think, that Bethesda, Wilford Hall, and Walter Reed aren't mentioned in the same breath as Parkland, Harborview, Baltimore Shock/Trauma, etc. Military residents doing trauma fellowships tend to go to civilian programs (don't even think the military has a trauma fellowship).

If you're really interested in operative trauma, go into ortho. Even in Iraq, >70% of operative trauma is ortho (sorry, don't remember the source).

Though old, this is more formal data on stateside military training:

Mil Med. 1996 Aug;161(8):453-7.Links
Trauma experience of Navy surgeons: assessment and commentary.
Smith RS, Morabito DJ, Bohman HR, Ludwig FE.
Department of Surgery, University of Kansas-Wichita

Numerous reports have suggested that surgical readiness during Operation Desert Storm was poor. We surveyed active duty Navy surgeons to assess current trauma experience and capability. A survey concerning trauma and critical care experience, as well as self-rating of skills, was mailed to all active duty surgeons (n = 185) in 1993. The response rate was 79% (146/185). A high turnover rate of surgeons was indicated by: (1) 51% (75/146) of surgeons had less than 3 years of experience following residency; and (2) only 42% (61/146) had served in the Gulf War. Only 12% of active duty surgeons (18/146) were involved in trauma care. Only 10% (14/146) had performed more than 20 operations for trauma in the preceding 1 years, and 85% (124/146) had performed fewer than 10 operations. In the preceding 5 years, 84% (122/146) had performed fewer than 100 operations for trauma, and 42% (61/146) had performed none. Critical care experience ranged from 0 to 20 patients per month (mean = 3). Despite limited recent experience, 84% (123/146) of respondents rated their trauma skills as adequate (n = 43), good (n = 49), or excellent (n = 31). We conclude that most Navy surgeons have minimal recent experience in trauma care. A high rate of turnover mandates training strategies that provide an ongoing exposure to injured patients. This could be accomplished by designating military hospitals as trauma centers or by placing military surgeons in civilian trauma centers.

wow. i had no idea. i guess now that i'm informed, it makes sense that military residency wouldn't be ideal for a variety of reasons; i mean, most patients in the military aren't SICK. and as far as iraq, the ortho/routine stuff also makes sense. I agree w/Cox that is fascinating!

Thanks Dr. Cox for leaving this post here! :)

I always wondered why some of the trauma/sicu guys/gals weren't in the military because, at least at my institution, a lot of them have the militant kinda personalities and such. But, makes sense now

After thinking about it some more, I recalled that my ex used to tell me about the military guys from Walter Reed and other programs who would come to Shock Trauma to rotate when he was a trauma fellow there.

He was suprised too that they didn't have more trauma exposure in their programs but very pleased with them otherwise as residents: good work ethic, bright and suprisingly easy-going.

Another option is to train at a civilian residency/ fellowship, and then join the reserves as a trauma attending.

I have seen several trauma/general/pedisurg faculty who work at level one trauma centers who are members of the reserves. almost all of them have been deployed at some point for a 6 + month stint

They have the benefit of being well trained and having rewarding/fulfilling practices, and also having the opportunity to serve their country.

One side note is that all of them are in academic practice (doing this in private practice would likely not be feasible)

Wow, Amgen... that sounds cool.

How long are they deployed for, typically? Is it really just 6+ months? Obviously it's cool in the sense that you serve your country, but what other benefits are there? What is the pay for a reserve surgeon? How often do you have to go to train while you're back at home normally? Is it still one weekend a month?

How helpful are academic institutions at having their faculty have such a potentially big other obligation? I mean... if you leave, then SOMEONE has to do your work. Obviously this is the case for any job... but, i'm just curious how's its looked upon in academics? What if you have an ongoing study going on with grant money.... what the heck do you do? Seems potentially hectic, and scary.

ANOTHER question. SO in war THERE ARE ONLY ATTENDING SURGEONS? No residents? I just find that weird because in order to be a practicing flight-surgeon for example (i.e. primary care doc.. not a surgeon), ALL YOU HAVE TO HAVE FINISHED IS internship. That is, you're not a board certified anything, you're just a doc who did his/her intern year.

During world war II, likewise, they drafted docs after their intern year for the medical stuff. What did they do for surgeons? Or.. i guess, is there just less of a demand for it?

thanks!

There is a surgical memoir where a resident is drafted during Vietnam and serves overseas...I can't remember the name. He did a fair amount of FP for the familes/kids at the base, but some trauma too.

Another note about "military" medicine. I interviewed at a civilian program where they did a rotation at an air force base in order to get their endoscopy numbers! Think about that...

If you want the old school military trauma experience, you might consider going to a civilian program, or military program, with retired military urgeons who trained when front line work was more common and who remmeber the development of our modern day trauma protocols.

So General Medical Offers... people who only did one year of medicine internship, are ATTENDINGS in the military, and act as such?

Why the heck do we need three years to be a general internal med doc in civilian practice theN?

Second question... about corpsmen. What are they trained to do? Are they like super-paramedics? EMT-paramedics are trained to do needle decompression, emergent trachs (although they rarely EVER do), pericardial tamponode decompression (which, again they never do in real life), ACLS (obivously), etc.....

but in war.. well... i dunno. What can corpsmen do? Any surgical kinda stuff? What about submarine corpsmen... they must have SOME primary care training because their basically the "doc" on the sub.

thanks!

So General Medical Offers... people who only did one year of medicine internship, are ATTENDINGS in the military, and act as such?

Why the heck do we need three years to be a general internal med doc in civilian practice then?

Because the primary care practice of a flight surgeon is the very, very limited niche of taking care of a small group of young, fit, healthy pilots who, if they become seriously and/or chronically ill, cease to be a patient because they can't be pilots anymore.