Military RN to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dranger

ACNP Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a cross post from the military forum, but I thought I would also ask it here.

Currently, I am finishing my BSN/RN and will commission as an LT (2nd Lieutenant) via army ROTC this year. However, I have been heavily considering MD/DO school if at all possible sooner rather than later. I enjoy nursing and believe its a great career as well as probably one of the best undergraduate degrees available, but I would love the opportunity to attend med school.

My dilemma is I have an 4 year active duty contract which I will most like spend in the ICU/ER while chipping away at med school pre reqs.

Recently I was offered a chance to go reserves (part time) and as a result I will be able to finish the rest of my pre reqs in a little over a year as opposed to the long drawn out process on active duty. The downside is I lose the ER/ICU experience from the military and the job security if I can't get into med school.

My question is: Is the ICU/ER (CCRN cert as well) nursing experience that great of an advantage on med school applications at the cost of spending 4 years of my 20s slowly completing pre reqs? Or should I just take the risk and finish my pre reqs now with no RN experience and apply to med school?

(I know about the NP/PA route but I am not really interested in being a MLPs for the time being)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to worry that you are specifically losing RN experience as long as you have some involvment in clinical experience so long as you can explain convincingly why you chose to pursue medicine.

It makes more sense to get your pre-reqs done sooner.

I don't think you need to worry that you are specifically losing RN experience as long as you have some involvment in clinical experience so long as you can explain convincingly why you chose to pursue medicine.

It makes more sense to get your pre-reqs done sooner.

Ya I am just worried that if I don't get in a new RN grad often has a hard time getting a job. I have no problem taking a risk but I like to put as much forethought into career decisions as possible.

The advantage of AD is the chance to some high ranking dept chair letter of rec that you can't get in the reserves...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I am just worried that if I don't get in a new RN grad often has a hard time getting a job. I have no problem taking a risk but I like to put as much forethought into career decisions as possible.

The advantage of AD is the chance to some high ranking dept chair letter of rec that you can't get in the reserves...

Most if not all schools won't care if you do ICU work as Nurse prior to medical school but any clinical involvement will show your committed to patient care. D.O. schools will look at this more than MD(which seem to be about the numbers)

I would finish the nursing prereqs and get focused on the MCAT before this projected change in 2015........

This is kind of a cross post from the military forum, but I thought I would also ask it here.

Currently, I am finishing my BSN/RN and will commission as an LT (2nd Lieutenant) via army ROTC this year. However, I have been heavily considering MD/DO school if at all possible sooner rather than later. I enjoy nursing and believe its a great career as well as probably one of the best undergraduate degrees available, but I would love the opportunity to attend med school.

My dilemma is I have an 4 year active duty contract which I will most like spend in the ICU/ER while chipping away at med school pre reqs.

Recently I was offered a chance to go reserves (part time) and as a result I will be able to finish the rest of my pre reqs in a little over a year as opposed to the long drawn out process on active duty. The downside is I lose the ER/ICU experience from the military and the job security if I can't get into med school.

My question is: Is the ICU/ER (CCRN cert as well) nursing experience that great of an advantage on med school applications at the cost of spending 4 years of my 20s slowly completing pre reqs? Or should I just take the risk and finish my pre reqs now with no RN experience and apply to med school?

(I know about the NP/PA route but I am not really interested in being a MLPs for the time being)

Thanks

Go reserves and apply to medical school now! As someone who took the longest possible route to medical school it is not worth it - just apply. The experience you will gain in an ER or ICU will be of no benefit. I went that route - send me a private message if you want more information happy to discuss it --> OLD MAN DO

Go reserves and apply to medical school now! As someone who took the longest possible route to medical school it is not worth it - just apply. The experience you will gain in an ER or ICU will be of no benefit. I went that route - send me a private message if you want more information happy to discuss it --> OLD MAN DO

Will do

Thanks