military scholarship (HPSP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how competitive they are.

I know we have options for air force, navy, and army.

I heard air force is the most competitive one.

how about navy and army?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Normally, it isn't terribly hard to get accepted to them. This year seemed to have quite a few more applicants, and all that remained of the ~70 Army scholarships were given out in the first board of the year. Can't speak for Navy, but yeah AF is more competitive. Some of the people put on the OML (wait list) for Army had ~3.6 GPA, ~20-21 DAT. I think if you have good LoR's it will help you out. If you can find a dentist who did the HPSP program, get to know them well enough that they'll write a good LoR for you.

The link in my signature has a lengthy discussion that might provide a few more details for you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Normally, it isn't terribly hard to get accepted to them. This year seemed to have quite a few more applicants, and all that remained of the ~70 Army scholarships were given out in the first board of the year. Can't speak for Navy, but yeah AF is more competitive. Some of the people put on the OML (wait list) for Army had ~3.6 GPA, ~20-21 DAT. I think if you have good LoR's it will help you out. If you can find a dentist who did the HPSP program, get to know them well enough that they'll write a good LoR for you.

The link in my signature has a lengthy discussion that might provide a few more details for you. Good luck!

Is this letter of recommendation required to apply for HPSP? or is it just highly recommended kinda thing? This LOR for HPSP would be a completely different LOR compared to the one I get for dental school right? I have one dentist at my practice who had HPSP long time ago when he was in school for air force.

Is this letter of recommendation required to apply for HPSP? or is it just highly recommended kinda thing? This LOR for HPSP would be a completely different LOR compared to the one I get for dental school right? I have one dentist at my practice who had HPSP long time ago when he was in school for air force.

LORs are required for the HPSP, but you can just use your LORs from dental schools (for the Army) may have to get them sent separately again for the Navy, dunno about Air Force. I just sent my recruiter my committee packet and that was fine.

In regards to your other questions, Air Force is most competitive due to the lack of scholarships. However, this cycle Army/Navy have also been exceptionally competitive with, as NMC2010 said, all Army scholarships being given out in the first board. Average stats used to be around 19-20 AA and 3.5 GPA, but I'm sure that it's higher now. You can find plenty of information on the HPSP in the Military Dentistry Forum.

Reactions: 1 user