Military scholarship or Nationahl Health Service Corp Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ckwondental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply for Military full tuition scholarship or National Heath Service Corps full tuition Scholarship for dental school students but I heard it's getting more competitive each year. How hard is it? What qualities do you have to have to be qualified/selected for the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply for Military full tuition scholarship or National Heath Service Corps full tuition Scholarship for dental school students but I heard it's getting more competitive each year. How hard is it? What qualities do you have to have to be qualified/selected for the scholarship?
I heard NHSC is extremely difficult unless you are really a minority, and scholarships are very limited. You would probably have a higher chance at military scholarships. The general rule is that if you're good enough to get into dental school, you're good enough to get the military scholarship. I'm afraid that you're pretty late for the 4-year military scholarship if you are matriculating dental school this fall.

Military scholarships are really competitive as well. Typically they only have a handful of spots available and they are becoming increasingly scarce. That could be changing in the next year as this administration is looking to grow the military, but I would just be aware that it is not a guaranteed acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard NHSC is extremely difficult unless you are really a minority, and scholarships are very limited. You would probably have a higher chance at military scholarships. The general rule is that if you're good enough to get into dental school, you're good enough to get the military scholarship. I'm afraid that you're pretty late for the 4-year military scholarship if you are matriculating dental school this fall.

My friend is asian and he got the 3 year NHSC lol.. but his grades are top.

Apply to both ? To me it seems NHSC is a way better deal since you have way more freedom in your living situation and a higher salary when you get out of dental school. But that's probably why it's so much more competitive than HPSP. Of course I understand why some would prefer HPSP over NHSC too.

HPSP - Military
Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited school - this will be your stumbling block initially if you choose a BS/DMD combined degree option
US Citizen
US/PR Accredited Dental School acceptance or enrollment - this too will be a stumbling block for you with the combined BS/DMD
Qualify to commission as an Officer - can't commission without a Baccalaureate Degree. Edit: have to also pass a DODMERB or MEPS physical

Talk to an AMEDD Recruiter for specifics

Reactions: 1 user

Both are very selective, with the NHSC being the more selective of the two as there are fewer spots. The NHSC does give some preference to students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

It is hard. To get selected, you need good grades, DAT scores, and strong extracurriculars, volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am so impressed with you. You got into several BS/DMD combined programs, and now you're already planning ahead for dental school cost of attendance. You are on top of your stuff, but don't get complacent...I love the drive - keep it up!
Well said! And I know right? I barely knew what I wanted to do with my life when I was in high school. Great job OP!

Reactions: 1 user