military scholarship

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by pyoj, Jan 1, 2001.

1. pyoj

pyoj Senior Member

Has anyone considered looking into a military scholarship to pay for their way through medical school?

My aunt is a Colonel in the US Army and practices as a psychiatrist at Walter Reed Hospital. She suggested that this would be an opportunity to consider.

I need some feedback from people who have gone through the process of appying to a particular branch or have merely considered applying.

Pros/Cons of committing 4 years as a military doc?

Thanks all.
    ~Jay

[This message has been edited by pyoj (edited 01-01-2001).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TNT

TNT Senior Member

4. pyoj

pyoj Senior Member

thanks for the website...it will definitly play in my decision to committing 4 years or more to the military.

But if you think about it, the military is not the only organization that has trouble with low morale or involves a demanding lifestyle. What about rural hospitals, or even major hospital that have to merge with other hospitals to retain profits and cut back on personel while increasing work loads on the physicians?

I'm leaning towards moving foward with an application. for one, i owe it to my hard working parents. They both work 70 hour weeks to put me through a private undergrad, i wouldn't dare ask them to do more to put me through med school. Plus, I don't think it's half bad serving as a military doctor. It adds a new dimension to your life, and you can chose to pursue a civilian life after you fulfill your committment.

i still need more information to make the right decision about this.

thanks!
    ~jay