Military Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still a little misinformation out here that needs to be cleaned up.

I spent 3 years active duty with the Army after graduation. Still finishing my IRR time. Two of those years I was attached to a Forward Support Battalion. I carried a M16 and had to qualify yearly on my M9 (qualified "expert" too!). Just because we become dentists DOES NOT mean we are not soldiers, sailors or airmen FIRST. Push comes to shove, you have a weapon and are expected to use it if necessary.

If someone honestly thinks that holding up your little Geneva Conventions card during combat will save you, get real. Do you honestly think that your enemy cares if you are a noncombatant? That card if not a bullet-proof shield. Bullets do not discriminate.

When assigned to my unit, I had a dental assistant assigned to me. He had to post himself outside the tent (along with the x-ray techs and lab tech in my tent) and defend it. I was told to stay inside and not come out if we were attacked. My First Seargent told me he would shoot me himself if I stuck my head out! :laugh:

When we all signed on the dotted line, we signed for an 8-year obligation. Most get out with a 3 or 4 year committment for active duty. That doesn't mean then military HAS to let you out! In times of need, the military can, and will, keep you past your intended service. I knew a bunch of guys kept in over a year past their active duty committment. Granted, they were not dentists, but the military has to keep their numbers at a minimum level and will not let you leave if they are below it. I actully was concerned that I may be held for an additional year as my unit deployed to Afghanistan a month after I left. Fortunately, there was another dentist replacing me so I got to go. If there wasn't though, I'd probably have been deployed. They can actually deny your resignment of your commission at the end of eight years if the numbers aren't there as well.

I certainly didn't get my uniform out, dust it off and just do dentistry. That's what I did most of the time, but the military has several required training sessions that happens every year for everyone in the military. It's not bad, but it's unrealistic to assume that your only duty will be to do dentistry.

If you're ever assigned to a REAL unit (I don't consider the dental clinic a "real unit"), you'll train with the rest of the military. PT, weapons, field exercises, you name it. I spent several weeks out in the elements ranging from -10 at night to over 105 during the day, and we never stopped. I was lucky to have a "cushy" job out in the field as a dentist and triage officer, but everyone else kept going. Dental emergencies and mass casualties happen in every form of weather, so we train in it too! :eek:

On a side note, chaplains were out there with me in the Brigade Support Area. Usually their tent was close by as they were in the middle of the BSA with HQ and Medical tents. They never carried a weapon with them. They did have an assistant next to them at all times that were assigned to protect them. They DID have a weapon and were expected to use it.

I am a big fan of dentists entering the military to the get the training available as well as debt reduction. Training in the military's AEGD programs is top notch. I learned a lot from it and use it every day in my civilian practice. There is no way I would be as successful as I am now without it. It's sad to see some of my classmates still stuck doing dentistry they learned in dental school. Bet I take home more then 90% of the GPs from my class. (And they thought I was crazy to join up!) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

jmill0 said:
Still a little misinformation out here that needs to be cleaned up.

I spent 3 years active duty with the Army after graduation. Still finishing my IRR time. Two of those years I was attached to a Forward Support Battalion. I carried a M16 and had to qualify yearly on my M9 (qualified "expert" too!). Just because we become dentists DOES NOT mean we are not soldiers, sailors or airmen FIRST. Push comes to shove, you have a weapon and are expected to use it if necessary.

If someone honestly thinks that holding up your little Geneva Conventions card during combat will save you, get real. Do you honestly think that your enemy cares if you are a noncombatant? That card if not a bullet-proof shield. Bullets do not discriminate.

When assigned to my unit, I had a dental assistant assigned to me. He had to post himself outside the tent (along with the x-ray techs and lab tech in my tent) and defend it. I was told to stay inside and not come out if we were attacked. My First Seargent told me he would shoot me himself if I stuck my head out! :laugh:

When we all signed on the dotted line, we signed for an 8-year obligation. Most get out with a 3 or 4 year committment for active duty. That doesn't mean then military HAS to let you out! In times of need, the military can, and will, keep you past your intended service. I knew a bunch of guys kept in over a year past their active duty committment. Granted, they were not dentists, but the military has to keep their numbers at a minimum level and will not let you leave if they are below it. I actully was concerned that I may be held for an additional year as my unit deployed to Afghanistan a month after I left. Fortunately, there was another dentist replacing me so I got to go. If there wasn't though, I'd probably have been deployed. They can actually deny your resignment of your commission at the end of eight years if the numbers aren't there as well.

I certainly didn't get my uniform out, dust it off and just do dentistry. That's what I did most of the time, but the military has several required training sessions that happens every year for everyone in the military. It's not bad, but it's unrealistic to assume that your only duty will be to do dentistry.

If you're ever assigned to a REAL unit (I don't consider the dental clinic a "real unit"), you'll train with the rest of the military. PT, weapons, field exercises, you name it. I spent several weeks out in the elements ranging from -10 at night to over 105 during the day, and we never stopped. I was lucky to have a "cushy" job out in the field as a dentist and triage officer, but everyone else kept going. Dental emergencies and mass casualties happen in every form of weather, so we train in it too! :eek:

On a side note, chaplains were out there with me in the Brigade Support Area. Usually their tent was close by as they were in the middle of the BSA with HQ and Medical tents. They never carried a weapon with them. They did have an assistant next to them at all times that were assigned to protect them. They DID have a weapon and were expected to use it.

I am a big fan of dentists entering the military to the get the training available as well as debt reduction. Training in the military's AEGD programs is top notch. I learned a lot from it and use it every day in my civilian practice. There is no way I would be as successful as I am now without it. It's sad to see some of my classmates still stuck doing dentistry they learned in dental school. Bet I take home more then 90% of the GPs from my class. (And they thought I was crazy to join up!) :laugh:

But what about the Airforce? I think most of us came to the conclusion that the Army dental scholarship would place you more at risk, per se...

BuckyBoy_DDS said:
But what about the Airforce? I think most of us came to the conclusion that the Army dental scholarship would place you more at risk, per se...

Maybe so. Still my point was that the Air Force does not let you sit on your duff all day EVERY day and do dentistry. The military has general requirements that everyone must complete. Just because you're a dentist in the Air Force, doesn't mean you're not an airman first.

Also, the Air Force has still keep you in if it has shortages in your field. They can keep you indefinitely if they can show need. This can happen with any branch, though I hope it doesn't come to it.....

Members don't see this ad :)
My Airforce recruitor called today to tell me that I received my HPSP scholarship for dental school. Now for lots of studying of the documents and soul searching.

jmill0, that was extremely informative. Thanks for sharing...

jmill0 said:
They can keep you indefinitely if they can show need. This can happen with any branch, though I hope it doesn't come to it.....

Jmill0,
From your experience in the Army, do you think that it might come to this. Do you think that there might be a shortage of dentists in the military? I have heard that the military has had some trouble filling all the spots for the HPSP in the past couple years and that kind of worries me. Also, if you could go back in time would you still go for the military scholarship or would you take out loans?

virginiabeach said:
Jmill0,
From your experience in the Army, do you think that it might come to this. Do you think that there might be a shortage of dentists in the military? I have heard that the military has had some trouble filling all the spots for the HPSP in the past couple years and that kind of worries me. Also, if you could go back in time would you still go for the military scholarship or would you take out loans?

I'd definitely do it again. For the three years anyways. It was a life experience. It was a learning experience.

Will there be a shortage? I doubt there will ever be a TRUE shortage as the military is contracting more and more civilians to do health care for them. I WOULD bet that sometime way in the future there will be a limited number of people in military health care. Those in the military will be assigned to field units that will deploy. Once we get to that minimum nember of dentists needed to fill all the field units, they will not go below that. Just my opinion though. I don't see it happening anywhere in the near future. Just as I don't see them taking anyone from the IRR soon either....

J

pretzeldude66 said:
First of all, please be aware of throwing around terms - officers do not "enlist." Through the HPSP, you are undergoing direct commissioning.

I am not confused about the distinction between enlisting and receiving a commission. Most of the horror stories about the military "screwing you" and changing your MOS/AFSC/whatever, and/or keeping you in longer than you had expected come from enlisted personnel. Granted, this is all anecdotal, but I have never met an officer who expressed any feeling that he was misinformed, cheated or otherwise fooled by the military regarding his military occupation and/or term of service (yes, many officers have complaints about pensions, healthcare, and dependent care). The problem here is that most people considering the military latch on to the tales of woe from certain enlisted guys who really don't have a clue and reaped what they sowed. This is unfortunate, because the officer corps is a different ballgame.

I also acknowledge that people can be held on active duty longer than they expected if a serious manpower shortage arises, especially if they are still deployed when their term is up. But don't forget that your hitch includes a period of reserve duty following active duty; so that additional time on AD is really just like a reserve deployment, and won't extend your total overall commitment.

The bottom line is that you are free to choose the scholarship or not. If you choose it, then you enter into a contract with the government. Some terms of your contract might have a very miniscule probablility of occurring, but you cannot cry foul if they hold you to it. Don't whine.

Regarding combatant vs. noncombatant status, of course the enemy doesn't give a s--t who you are, but our government certainly does. They will do everything in their power to keep you as safe as possible. But yes, a military doc is going to have a higher occupational risk than a civilian. Then again, my dad's practice was next door to an abortion clinic that got blown up in the 1980s, and it blew out the windows of his office. Life is meaningless and random. Create meaning for yourself rather than run around fearing death.

I am pretty sure you can have the military pay for just 2 or 3 years, then you only owe 2 or three in return.

MC4 said:
I am pretty sure you can have the military pay for just 2 or 3 years, then you only owe 2 or three in return.

Minimum is three even if you only take a year scholarship