Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

military scholarship

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by Hunter007, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hunter007

Pre-Medical
    hi guys...im going to be a first year ms student starting in august...i read somewhere the minimum years for a military scholarship is two years. does that mean i can apply my junior year and only be committed to two years of service? also if this is the case can i have some feedback on whether or not this is a good idea

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jfitzpat

Dental Student
    I'm pretty sure the minimum is two years payback regardless of how many years you take the scholarship. For instance, if you took a one year scholarship, you would still owe two. It might be three in some branches, but I'm not real sure.

As for whether or not it's a good idea, run a search and get ready to set aside a big chunk of time surfing through the many opinions on the subject. There are hundreds of posts about whether or not it is good thing.

4. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!

You will have less say in what specialty of medicine you go into. If you don't care where you end up, then sign up. By taking a 2 year scholarship, you'll be getting a lot of the bad parts of military medicine and missing out on one of the benefits, which is the scholarship DURING med school. If you want to be on HPSP, I recommend taking it for 4 years. What I would really recommend is you remain a civilian, and then if you want to join the military after residency, then by all means...

5. BigNavyPedsGuy

BigNavyPedsGuy Junior Member

Attending Physician
    The minimum payback is 3 years even if you just take a one year scholarship. And then if you did a residency it would probably add to that.

6. Hunter007

Pre-Medical
    thanks guys...the best piece of advice i received was dont take the scholarship unless you want to be in the military. since i am not sure want to i think i will stay a civilian