military scholarship??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I will be applying to med school in the fall of 2003 and have a few questions about the military.

1. After completion of a residency, what can I expect, in general, in the amount of compensation in comparision to private practice... 50%, 80%?

2. Are military residencies considered to be as good in regards to quality as community or hospital based residencies?

3. In the summers during medical school, what does active duty consist of? A recruiter told me that the only way you can tell you are on active duty is that the amount you are paid increases.

4. What is the quality of education at USUHS considered to be in comparision to most other Universities?

5. If accepted at USUHS, will I decrease my chances of getting into a my residency of choice.

These are just a few of my questions and I welcome any input that anyone has in regards to the military.

That you in advance for your responses.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi-

I am an Army ROTC cadet applying to Med school. I can answer some of your questions in relation to Army. (From what I have researched and/or know).

First off, the pay is not comparable to civilian. For example, Orthopedic sugeon in civilian field can make half-million. Top pay in Army (top paying job in Army) is $170,000. That is with experience, rank and time in. The military is not an occupation you want to go into if you want to make a lot of money. The nice part though is that you don't start out hundreds thousands dollars in debt. You also don't have to pay malpractice insurance.

Residencies- If you are on military scholarship or attend USUHS, you will have military residency. You will work probably at one of major hopitals-Madigan(WA), Tripler (HI) or Walter Reed (DC). I think military residencies are preferrable--especially since you will be practicing in military, it is better to practice miliary medicine and become accustomed to both medical and military life (especially if HPSP).

In summers, you shadow military/government based medical practicioner. You may work at one of above hospitals or at one of the smaller clinics as a primary care practicioner. With USUHS, you have field training where you learn field medicine, and leadership training. (land nav, rifle/9mm (not sure which) qualification and basic military skills. Also-participate in Army Physical Training (PT ) three times week. For training prior to first year, see following link http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/HPSPJun02/HPSP02_index.htm

From my research, the quality of USUHS is comparable to any other Medical school--if not more. They have same expectations becaus government wants the best. Not only will you be a physician, but also an officer in United States military. You get same clinical training as regular MD school and additional training in military medicine and emergency field medicine.

As to residency of your choice, if you are on scholarship or USUHS, you will attend military residency. You probably will be able to have major choice. (I am not positive on this) However, realize like in other areas of military, it may depend on needs of Army or whatever branch. Usually (like in ROTC) the military will place you where you want to be because they want you to be happy. (Re-enlist when time comes)

This is just what I have researched. If any current med students out there, correct me if I am wrong.

Hope this helps!

For more info:
http://www.usuhs.mil/admisprog.html
http://www.armymedicine.army.mil/armymed/default2.htm

I'm sorry but at USUHS we don't have PT 3x's a week. Actually we don't have it at all. We do have the PRT (physical readiness Test) twice a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your reply. I have lots of thinking to do.

Are these scholarships available for DO students?

Typed out a long explanation of why it's a bad idea unless you cannot see yourself doing anything other than being a military doc, then SDN ate it.

The highlights were: recruiters are paid liars - they tell you whatever they have to do in order to get you into a contract - it's their job. Financially you come out far behind, you give up your choice of specialty (possibly, you don't know what you want to do when you start med school), you give up your choice of where you are going to live, they sometimes don't permit extra training, they sometimes force people into being a GMO and either trapping you in the military or you have to go back to residency later in life after a wife/husband +/- kids.

I considered it and am very, very happy I did not do it. To put that in perspective, my father and uncle were career military who served overseas, brother is active duty who served in Afghanistan, brother-in-law is a reserve.

This thread is 10+ years old, but there is a military medicine forum that would better be able to answer mil med questions.

Hi-

I am an Army ROTC cadet applying to Med school. I can answer some of your questions in relation to Army. (From what I have researched and/or know).

First off, the pay is not comparable to civilian. For example, Orthopedic sugeon in civilian field can make half-million. Top pay in Army (top paying job in Army) is $170,000. That is with experience, rank and time in. The military is not an occupation you want to go into if you want to make a lot of money. The nice part though is that you don't start out hundreds thousands dollars in debt. You also don't have to pay malpractice insurance.

Residencies- If you are on military scholarship or attend USUHS, you will have military residency. You will work probably at one of major hopitals-Madigan(WA), Tripler (HI) or Walter Reed (DC). I think military residencies are preferrable--especially since you will be practicing in military, it is better to practice miliary medicine and become accustomed to both medical and military life (especially if HPSP).

In summers, you shadow military/government based medical practicioner. You may work at one of above hospitals or at one of the smaller clinics as a primary care practicioner. With USUHS, you have field training where you learn field medicine, and leadership training. (land nav, rifle/9mm (not sure which) qualification and basic military skills. Also-participate in Army Physical Training (PT ) three times week. For training prior to first year, see following link http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/HPSPJun02/HPSP02_index.htm

From my research, the quality of USUHS is comparable to any other Medical school--if not more. They have same expectations becaus government wants the best. Not only will you be a physician, but also an officer in United States military. You get same clinical training as regular MD school and additional training in military medicine and emergency field medicine.

As to residency of your choice, if you are on scholarship or USUHS, you will attend military residency. You probably will be able to have major choice. (I am not positive on this) However, realize like in other areas of military, it may depend on needs of Army or whatever branch. Usually (like in ROTC) the military will place you where you want to be because they want you to be happy. (Re-enlist when time comes)

This is just what I have researched. If any current med students out there, correct me if I am wrong.

Hope this helps!

For more info:
http://www.usuhs.mil/admisprog.html
http://www.armymedicine.army.mil/armymed/default2.htm

I'll also be doing Army ROTC and I'm about to apply for the scholarship for undergrad! Did ROTC make it more difficult keeping up with your studies, being a Pre-med? O do you think it made you more marketable to med schools?

I'll also be doing Army ROTC and I'm about to apply for the scholarship for undergrad! Did ROTC make it more difficult keeping up with your studies, being a Pre-med? O do you think it made you more marketable to med schools?

lulz the post you quoted was from over 10 years ago. Doubt that user is still on SDN.