Military scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aallaei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have accepted the military scholarship or know a lot about the process to share your thoughts. I am confused on how long after residency you have to work for the government? how many hours a week? is it at a VA? What is provided? Is it easier to go into surgery if you have a military scholarship? Do u do ur residency with the military?
:confused:

thanx
Ata

Members don't see this ad.

Usually you are active duty one year for each year they pay for. I have a 4 year scholarship, so owe 4 active , and (here's the fine print) 4 in reserve.
Please don't just go military for the money. I decided that it is a unique experience that I want to be involved with. The money does make life easier, though. Especially the stipend. Around $1000/ month.
You usually have to do a military match for residency, and I have no idea which specialties are easier than others. I do know that some people choose (and get approval) for special residencies or fellowships outside of the military, though. The VA (my understanding) has nothing to do with the military hospitals. They use us for the active troops, their families, retired (that get benefits) service member and thier dependents.
Search this forum for more info (previous threads), talk to others who have done it, get lots of opinions before you make a decision.
**Keep in mind some scholarships close their application date sooner than others!