Military Service Counting as Non-Clinical Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AhNiceMarmot

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum here.

Currently an undergraduate student veteran with a question about non-clinical volunteering. I've briefly seen in some threads that military service may count as non-clinical volunteering service. Is this the general consensus? I have a year left before the application process for the year of 2021 and was wondering if I should focus more on clinical volunteering rather than non-clinical volunteering.

Very Respectfully.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
No. Military service is paid employment, not non-clinical volunteering. (But it's kickass paid employment that you get extra props for at a lot of places.) (And sweet Veterans' Day discounts.)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys new to the forum here.

Currently an undergraduate student veteran with a question about non-clinical volunteering. I've briefly seen in some threads that military service may count as non-clinical volunteering service. Is this the general consensus? I have a year left before the application process for the year of 2021 and was wondering if I should focus more on clinical volunteering rather than non-clinical volunteering.

Very Respectfully.
I had components of my military service (Army) split up in to many different categories:

Clinical volunteering
Non clinical volunteering
Clinical employment
Non clinical employment
Awards
Teaching/tutoring

Basically, if you had components of your service that matched in to these sorts of categories, then you can definitely split it up.

Many ADCOMs will in fact internally count military as service/volunteering, but we as applicants still need to split it up because we were paid for a lot of it. Not paid for other stuff such as volunteered or voluntold duties (I volunteered for morning phlebotomy rounds and mental health advocacy (ACE advocate) as examples).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. After just having first interview, I can tell you that really exploring your full nature of military service in your work/activities section will benefit you (at least it did from my perspective...)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently an undergraduate student veteran with a question about non-clinical volunteering. I've briefly seen in some threads that military service may count as non-clinical volunteering service. Is this the general consensus?

No. Military service is paid employment, not non-clinical volunteering. (But it's kickass paid employment that you get extra props for at a lot of places.)
Welcome to SDN. If you plan to hang around here much, consider applying for a military badge like the one you see below MemeLord's avatar.

Peace Corps is paid employment, too, but widely considered to be a community service no matter how it is characterized on an application. Volunteer military service is considered similarly in my experience. That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider giving back somehow to the local community where you reside now, which gives you even more props in the application process.

Reactions: 4 users
Welcome to SDN. If you plan to hang around here much, consider applying for a military badge like the one you see below MemeLord's avatar.

Peace Corps is paid employment, too, but widely considered to be a community service no matter how it is characterized on an application. Volunteer military service is considered similarly in my experience. That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider giving back somehow to the local community where you reside now, which gives you even more props in the application process.

Technically, Peace Corps is volunteer service. The Peace Corps Volunteer is not a federal employee. The volunteer is paid a stipend and provided with language training, etc but it is not officially employement.

Reactions: 3 users
Adcoms look fondly on military service; I distinctly recall some adcom or other claiming that a combat medic’s military service counted as both clinical and nonclinical volunteering.