Military Service for OTs ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whistle Pig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of the military services provide financial aid to students in exchange for service rendered? Like MDs, dental, etc.?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The the Navy pays you E6 salary w/ benefits for the last 24 months at the program you attend. You could probably pay most of the yearly tuition that way.

I think the Army has a program w/ baylor. It is a Phd program (or something like that) and you need to have a MOT. I am not very sure of the specifics of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
The health care recruiter can put you through a person who is doing it and ask them questions etc and provide more info.

The army with Baylor offers a Physical Therapy program (DPT). I'm not too sure about the specifics though.

You might be able to get them to repay your student loans if you become an officer. Or you could choose a school with an ROTC program. You may even get help if you go into the reserves.

You can also consider living below your means once you graduate. For example, if you make $60,000 per year, only use $35,000 per year to live on until your student loans are paid off.

I don't believe the ROTC is an option for grad school requirements. Nor would the military repay student loans.

As for living below our means? Most all of us are about to get some real practice at that, OT or otherwise, thanks to BO.

I am going to supplement my income by selling my plasma.

Legalized selling of drugs!

What's the "going rate" these days?

around 300 dollars a month if you go every 2 days or so.

Isn't that kind of thing sort of oxymoronic for a wannabe healthcare professional?????

Or just *****ic?

Sex for $$ might be a better option.

And both of them suck.

Calm down bro.

I was kidding around.

dumb, bro!

Was your point supposed to be humorous? or just stupid?

Can anybody comment on how competitive the scholarship for the navy is?

I was looking into this too. Talk to a health recruiter in the branch of your interest. ROTC IS an option for graduate school students however make sure you meet with a ROTC Commander first for details. I knew a couple of students in ROTC that were in law school and MBA Programs. Usually need at least 2 years left in the program to complete ROTC. As an undergrad, I was encouraged by someone that was prior enlisted to go this route. Explore and research your options to find what would best fit you.

I was looking into this too. Talk to a health recruiter in the branch of your interest. ROTC IS an option for graduate school students however make sure you meet with a ROTC Commander first for details. I knew a couple of students in ROTC that were in law school and MBA Programs. Usually need at least 2 years left in the program to complete ROTC. As an undergrad, I was encouraged by someone that was prior enlisted to go this route. Explore and research your options to find what would best fit you.

Absolutely consider any options that you feel may be up your alley. However if you get into a "contract" or being sold on the ideas please have someone you trust in the military (preferably with quite a few years of service) read over the details you are heading into. I fully support joining/going those routes as long as you realistically know what you are doing.

From Afrotc:

If you meet the criteria below, you could apply for enrollment in the AFROTC program, however you would not receive any type of "scholarship" or tuition assistance from the Air Force for your graduate or AFROTC courses unless they were in an AF critical need and received prior approval from AFROTC.

AFROTCI 36-2011, para 4.2.1.3 through 4.2.1.3.4:
4.2.1.3. Students seeking to enter AFROTC to complete a second undergraduate degree or graduate degree must meet the following eligibility criteria. AFROTC will not accept any applicant who has already completed a graduate degree.

- Have a CGPA of 3.0 or higher from all previous college courses taken.

- Meet the Outstanding and Deserving AFOQT criteria from Figure 4.2 in this chapter to be eligible for AFROTC.
Minimum Standards of Performance AFOQT Scores:
Academic Aptitude - 60
Verbal - 60
Quantitative - 50

- Exceptions to these criteria will only be considered for those individuals seeking a second undergraduate degree or graduate degree in a hard-to-fill accession degree requirement like electrical engineering, computer engineering, or nursing as determined by AFROTC/RR.

- Cadets entering AFROTC with a previous degree are not eligible for scholarship monies unless they are pursuing a hard-to-fill accession degree requirement as determined by AFROTC/RR.

In addition to the above eligibility criteria you would also have to meet all other eligibility criteria (age, citizenship, etc.) for enrollment and/or completion of the AFROTC General Military and Professional Officer Corps courses. These requirements can be found at: http://afrotc.com/admissions/requirements-standards/general-requirements/.

This is part of the email they sent me.

Army asked if I was in the military before, I said no. No answer...

Absolutely consider any options that you feel may be up your alley. However if you get into a "contract" or being sold on the ideas please have someone you trust in the military (preferably with quite a few years of service) read over the details you are heading into. I fully support joining/going those routes as long as you realistically know what you are doing.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I most definitely will keep this in mind. I never been in the military either so I plan on seeking out those wiser than me before doing just that.