Military specialty match?...do go on!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boondook

Young, Black & Talented
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Please excuse my ignorance in the matter, I have just recently begun researching the HPSP. In reading some of the previous posts, I’ve been noticing a lot of people have inquired about “match lists”. From my understanding, an individual’s military medical speciality is based on the need of the particular service at the particular time. So let’s say I had my heart set on becomming an ER physician (and it just so happens I do), but the Army has a need for...proctologists at the particular time; does this mean some Colonel may give me a pat me on the back, hand me a colonoscope and say "tough luck get to work"?

Thanks in advance for the insight

Members don't see this ad.

no, because you hadn't do an internal medicine residency yet. Fellowships! That's a whole different story. But yes, potentially they could hand you a stethoscope and tell you to go take a history.

Now, I was under the impression that also could be true in the civilian world if you didn't match your first pick. You can always try and do a GMO, FS, UMO tour and rematch. But, I could be way off here, in which case you will see the flamethrowers correcting me right below this post, so read on while we both get edumucated.

*laughs* Thanks megadon! What a co-in-ki-dink, I used a proctologist as an example, and now we both may be torn a new one :laugh:.

Members don't see this ad :)
no, because you hadn't do an internal medicine residency yet. Fellowships! That's a whole different story. But yes, potentially they could hand you a stethoscope and tell you to go take a history.

Now, I was under the impression that also could be true in the civilian world if you didn't match your first pick. You can always try and do a GMO, FS, UMO tour and rematch. But, I could be way off here, in which case you will see the flamethrowers correcting me right below this post, so read on while we both get edumucated.

There is a chance that it can happen to you in the civilian world. Except 1) a lot of competitive military specialties have people scramble in (i.e. EM, peds, anesthesia). AND in the civilian world you have a at least a little say in the scramble process - you can turn things down.

That crap of someone busting their tail to get peds, and getting thrown into a psych internship (happened to one of my classmates) doesn't happen in the civilian world. When someone does have to scramble, it's usually for things like Derm, Ortho, Categorical plastics, etc.

If you want to do emergency medicine, then don't join the military. Ask met19 about that.

There is a chance that it can happen to you in the civilian world. Except 1) a lot of competitive military specialties have people scramble in (i.e. EM, peds, anesthesia). AND in the civilian world you have a at least a little say in the scramble process - you can turn things down.

That crap of someone busting their tail to get peds, and getting thrown into a psych internship (happened to one of my classmates) doesn't happen in the civilian world. When someone does have to scramble, it's usually for things like Derm, Ortho, Categorical plastics, etc.

If you want to do emergency medicine, then don't join the military. Ask met19 about that.

Hey BigNavy,
Thanks a lot for the insight. The situation your friend is in is exactly what I am trying to avoid! I could definitely function as a flight officer if I was put in that situation however, I DESPISE psychology. I honestly would have no idea what to do with myself if put in that situation.

I am under the impression that ER physicians who undergo military training/practice prior to entering civilian practice, typically have greater opportunities compared to those who choose the traditional route. Have I been ridiculously misinformed?

I am under the impression that ER physicians who undergo military training/practice prior to entering civilian practice, typically have greater opportunities compared to those who choose the traditional route. Have I been ridiculously misinformed?

They have the same opportunities as any civilian EM physician with 4-6 years experience. Don't compare new EM residency grad opportunities with those of military EM physicians getting out of the military. Remember compare apples to apples. BTW you make your own opportunities. As a civilian you have more of a say what those are. I wouldn't join the military in hopes of that service helping you once you get out. Besides a few networking angles I don't see the military giving you much else. I could be wrong......:cool:

Thanks Croooz.

With the exception of material benefits (i.e. Uncle Sam "sponging" med school debt), would any of you say that the military has been a worthwhile experience in regards to your medical practice?

I understand it takes a "special" type of person to be able to function as a military physician, and I have no doubt that I would be able to. My concern however, is whether or not my decision to serve my country would inadvertently expose me to below average training and practice experience (I would like to reiterate the declaimer posted in my original post- “Please excuse my ignorance in the matter, I have just recently begun researching the HPSP”).

Thanks guys!