Military to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunnyleo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like alot of the posts...I'm new to the world of pre-med. I'm also an "older" student. Long story short..I started out my undergrad career in pre-med but was also training for the Olympics and switched to business....Always thought I'd go back to pick up the classes later...Time got away from me. I joined the Air Force as an Officer and earned my MA in Business while working all over the world. As the years have gone by I've discovered that I love the humanitarian aspects of serving in the military, (feeding refugees/peacekeeping etc) much more than I enjoy training for war. I've started taking my science pre-requisites through internet based and distance learning....They even cover labs...I'm planning to finish all my classes by next spring and take the April 2001 MCAT. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do about pre-med recommendations? I don't really have an advisor or professors. I do know many doctors that are willing to write recommendations. Also, my undergrad grades were a 3.1/masters program 3.7 and so far a 4.0 in post-bacc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

By the by, I'm a Texas resident and plan to apply to all the Texas schools......
confused.gif

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I want to welcome you to the fray, I think you will find this discussion page is one of the most helpful resources for finding information and honest advice about medical school.

You and I have quite a bit in common. I too am an Air Force Officer (at least for a few more months anyway). I just went through the "taking the prerequisite, taking the MCAT, and applying for medical school" process. I know how difficult it can be. So, being that I am in Texas, I figured I could call the UT Health Science Center at San Antonio and see what their advice would be. No luck, the person I needed to speak to was not in. I checked their website and extracted the following paragraphs:

"If you are no longer in undergraduate school and cannot obtain an evaluation from your former Health Professions Advisor or Advisory Committee, choose the appropriate alternative from the following:

a) If attending Graduate School, one evaluation from your graduate advisor, major professor or chairman of your major department and an additional evaluation from a current or former professor (plus a letter of evaluation from a practicing dentist if applying to Baylor College of Dentistry).

b) If not enrolled in a college or university for over a year and are currently employed or in the military service, one evaluation from your immediate supervisor (business associate, if self-employed) and an additional evaluation from a former professor (plus a letter of evaluation from a practicing dentist if applying to Baylor College of Dentistry)."

If you need more information the e-mail of the person to contact is:

[email protected]

If you have any specific questions you want me to ask Dr. Jones, post them or e-mail them to me, and I will call his office and see if he can provide some answers.

I know how tough it can be to find answers to the many questions you may have, especially as an older student. Feel free to ask me for any help I can give.

Good Luck

Sheon

Status
Not open for further replies.