Military Veterinary Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kanashimi

Freak of Nature
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading about the Army's Vet Corps. http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/pay.html
It sounds really interesting to me, as I've always wanted to be able to serve in the military, but I've always felt like they never had any jobs in particular that I wanted to do. Is there anyone here who is also considering this, or who has some insight into this area? What is the difference between someone who just goes into the military, and someone who goes as a vet? Sorry if that's a basic question... I'm in the process of looking it up but haven't found it yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay, I was able to find the answer. For anyone interested, apparently, you can go straight in and be trained by the army as a vet tech, or you can wait and join after becoming a vet. Sounds like it'd be pretty cool, because I'm so ADD that I don't like doing one thing for long... and it seems that I'd be able to do lots of things there. Correct me if I'm wrong! ;)
Is there anyone out there with any army experience, or, more specifically, army vet experience? I'd love to hear from you, if so.

I remember reading a few threads about this a while ago, one of them had someone who had joined the Army Vet Corps. If you do a search you should be able to find them.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's just it. I've done a few searches, and haven't found anything. I found some doctors, but no veterinarians. *shrugs* I used "military" "military vet" "army vet corps" and "military veterinarian"... and maybe a few more, I don't remember. Maybe I'm missing something? I don't like to repeat posts, so I don't if I can help it.

Thanks, cozycleo! Don't know how on earth I missed that one! ;) Food inspection doesn't sound so fun, though... I wanna treat exotic animals in far corners of the world... heheh. Of course, the shooting at people part sounds great. Heal animals by day... shoot people by night. That's not hypocritical at all!!!! :D

I've been curious about jobs available to military vets too. Might be something I'll look into more seriously once I (hopefully...) become a vet if there is the option of staying in the US. Let me know if you find out any other interesting info about it!

Hey, Just wanted to offer another side to look at it. The Air Force uses vets too. I am currently in my undergrad in Air Force ROTC, applying for my Education Delay to postpone commissioning until I go to vet school. The AF uses vets for public health and biomedical research. They also offer HPSP if you have no prior service, or if you enroll in ROTC there are numerous options to obtain graduate and DVM degrees once you commission.

I work with some military vets and vet techs. I've spent more time with the techs, so I can't speak much for what it's like being an army vet. The techs seem to move around and work in lots of different areas. I'm in lab animal care, so all the techs I work with now are also working with lab animals. However, they've all also worked with livestock and with domestic animals at clinics or shelters run by the military and they've worked with army dogs and etc. I'm not sure how often they move around, or how someone determines where to send them or when or to which area of vet med, but I've never had a huge interest in joining the army, so I've never asked. :p

Since I have no idea how often people check the vet board, I'm re-posting my queries here.

I have been trying to keep in touch with the health profession recruiter in my state, but she tends to be very very quiet and I have a lot of questions! I know that I'm still several years away from being able to join (year one, semester one), but she had mentioned something about early commissioning after my second yea, but didn't really explain what that meant. Anyone know who I could talk to about this?
Also, does anyone know if you are allowed to see practice as part of your externships?