Military work without signing my life away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frijolero

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I had been considering signing up for the Navy scholarship mostly because I really want to practice medicing abroad, especially in Spain. After reading everything here and talking to people, I've realized it's not worth signing that many years away. My question, though, is if anyone knows of any alternatives that would allow me to practice in Europe (Spain). Basically, does the military hire civilians to fill open spots? If I could graduate, do my residency wherever I want, avoid the GMO and then contract with the Navy to work for a year or two in Rota, I would be in heaven. Any chance of this happening?

-Frijolero

Members don't see this ad.

Frijolero said:
Hi all,
I had been considering signing up for the Navy scholarship mostly because I really want to practice medicing abroad, especially in Spain. After reading everything here and talking to people, I've realized it's not worth signing that many years away. My question, though, is if anyone knows of any alternatives that would allow me to practice in Europe (Spain). Basically, does the military hire civilians to fill open spots? If I could graduate, do my residency wherever I want, avoid the GMO and then contract with the Navy to work for a year or two in Rota, I would be in heaven. Any chance of this happening?

-Frijolero

With all the deployments cutting down on the # of docs at stateside military bases, the Army is hiring more and more civiilan contractors and locum tenens docs, both full and part-time, in just about all specialties. I'm not sure if they are doing this for overseas jobs, but it wouldn't surprise me. You could probably get on line and find some medical staffing company the supplies docs to the military. But if you're just now thinking about HPSP, you're at least a decade away from that point anyway, so I wouldn't even worry about it now -- who knows what things will be like by then?

RMD 1-7-8