Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranjis McBasketball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked, but seeing as this always changes I was wondering if things were still the same for podiatrists in the military? I only ask because I was emailed by an army recruiter about military and when I told him I was podiatry he began to tell me its basically the same benefits and same pay and same level, etc as with medical school... I dont know if its changed or if he's full of it... help

Members don't see this ad.

Tbh this probably isn't the best source to ask such an important question. Are you currently attending a podiatry school? Because I'm sure they have counselors that have detailed and accurate information about this.

For almost all benefits in the Army it is based on your rank. For a Podiatrist you come in as a Captain just like a Doctor or Dentist. The only thing that changes based on job is the incentives you get or special incentives later in your career. The Army has a 36 Month Surgical Residency that you can apply for or you can come in as a direct Podiatrist after Residency however the slots are very limited. Let me know if you have any other questions. (Also we have no incentives while in school)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I work directly beside a couple of podiatrists in the Navy. They do NOT receive incentive pay (i.e. doctor bonuses) like MDs or DOs do. Not sure if it is also the case for Army/Air Force. I heard there is legislation being pushed through to provide incentive pay for podiatrists but currently there is nothing

I work directly beside a couple of podiatrists in the Navy. They do NOT receive incentive pay (i.e. doctor bonuses) like MDs or DOs do. Not sure if it is also the case for Army/Air Force. I heard there is legislation being pushed through to provide incentive pay for podiatrists but currently there is nothing
If someone goes to practice in military, how long do you have to work there? 4 years?
is it after residency or residency included?
Our school told us during interview that they can cover all tuition and everything on a budget in return for 4 years of service.

If someone goes to practice in military, how long do you have to work there? 4 years?
Our school told us during interview that they can cover all tuition and everything on a budget in return for 4 years of service.

It is 4 years of service after residency.
Medical School Scholarships

If you are interested in serving the country and are able to take education loans a better option may be the Health Professions Loan Repayment Program. For each year of service you provide, the navy will repay $40,000 in loans. This way, you won't have the 4 years of commitment, get loan relief, and still have flexibility a normal medical student with regards to where you want to do your residency.

Accessions
click on the HPLRP tab

For a Podiatrist if they are already through residency the minimum is 3 years. If you come in for the residency then it is a 4 year contract.

I am very supportive and in favor of the military and while I was thinking about going into a medical degree (podiatry and dentistry) I was sure I would go into the military to come out loan free. I had the wrong idea however, as at the time I believed the deal would start as I entered residency, but the offer I received said that it would start after residency, and I believe a air Force email I received said it could count residency years so around 7 or 8 years of service (might not be accurate but that is how I read it). Economically, I don't think it is as viable as a loan, unless of course you have bad credit and can't get a loan. Again, I am a huge supporter of the military and would love to do my part, but it doesn't really equal out and you'll ultimately lose money. This was just what I was offered and if you can get a different deal then the best of luck to you or anyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
I am very supportive and in favor of the military and while I was thinking about going into a medical degree (podiatry and dentistry) I was sure I would go into the military to come out loan free. I had the wrong idea however, as at the time I believed the deal would start as I entered residency, but the offer I received said that it would start after residency, and I believe a air Force email I received said it could count residency years so around 7 or 8 years of service (might not be accurate but that is how I read it). Economically, I don't think it is as viable as a loan, unless of course you have bad credit and can't get a loan. Again, I am a huge supporter of the military and would love to do my part, but it doesn't really equal out and you'll ultimately lose money. This was just what I was offered and if you can get a different deal then the best of luck to you or anyone else.

If you came in as a podiatrist then you could not be paid anything until your board certified but that is only for podiatry. Any MD or DO student can be paid student loan repayment if they join during residency, you do have to finish BOLC first but that is the only catch. Or you join for HPSP and they pay the tuition directly to the school.

To be honest if it was DO or MD I'd say do it. Many ways to serve your country other than joining the army. DOD has civilian jobs they hire for the armed forces, where you can help. VA is always looking to hire and is always looking.

Check with the Airforce, I think you can sign up before board certification.

Reactions: 1 user