Millitary retirement w/prior enlistment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Navy doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 5 years prior enlistment in the Navy, but I talk to a Navy officer recruiter about their HSCP and he said my time will count as time in service for retirement and pay. However, he said I will still have to serve 20 years as a dental officer to retire which would total 25 years:confused:.
It just doesn't make sense, anybody know about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds a little odd. If your time counts toward retirement, it would take 5 years off the amount of time needed to retire. I know several AF Dentists that were active duty enlisted and that time counts toward retirement. In other words, if they served 5 years on active duty, they only need to serve 15 more years to retire. I think you need more clarification and maybe need to talk to someone with more knowledge.

With all that being said, there are some other issues that can arise. Did you have a long break in service? Was you enlisted time in the Guard or Reserve? I served 9 years enlisted in the National Guard. That time counts toward pay, but only the time I was on active orders counts toward retirement. So, out of 9 years I had about 6 months active time. So I have to serve 19.5 more years to retire, but when I do I'll be paid like I've been in 29.

I'm prior service enlisted and had a break in service. My time on active duty counts towards my retirement and pay, while my IRR time counts only towards pay. This came directly from a CAPT in the PSD department that handles HPSP/HSCP students. She had to do some research because she stated that they don't get to many prior service with a break in service to make sure that it was calculated correctly. My LES reflects the above information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm prior service enlisted and had a break in service. My time on active duty counts towards my retirement and pay, while my IRR time counts only towards pay. This came directly from a CAPT in the PSD department that handles HPSP/HSCP students. She had to do some research because she stated that they don't get to many prior service with a break in service to make sure that it was calculated correctly. My LES reflects the above information.

Same for the AF. Your IRR time only counts towards pay.