Army MilMed in a nutshell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think my current experiences sums it up pretty well.

This week I was informed that I have been designated PROFIS. Following this, I have been instructed to draw gear from CIF, go to EST, qualify on the range, etc. No known deployment, but possibility of it now exists for me.

I start terminal leave in 6 months.

At best, when I finally get all of this stuff done, I will pretty much immediately start the process of turning the gear back in. Unless, of course, I get a deployment tasker. I guess that would mean I don't get out?

I don't even know how the reverse PROFIS stuff affects any of this.

Members don't see this ad.

H

This week I was informed that I have been designated PROFIS. Following this, I have been instructed to draw gear from CIF, go to EST, qualify on the range, etc. No known deployment, but possibility of it now exists for me.

At best, when I finally get all of this stuff done, I will pretty much immediately start the process of turning the gear back in. Unless, of course, I get a deployment tasker. I guess that would mean I don't get out?

Has your paperwork been accepted and approved by HRC? If so, it would seem you're past the point of no return barring "Stop-Loss"?

Yeah man, you need to talk to your battalion commander and make sure they know you have a UQR in. Once that’s accepted, you’re non-deployable and cannot be assigned a PROFIS slot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah man, you need to talk to your battalion commander and make sure they know you have a UQR in. Once that’s accepted, you’re non-deployable and cannot be assigned a PROFIS slot.

This is Army, by the way.

Do you have a regulation or anything I could use to back this up? I have the UQR Acceptance memo from HRC Headquarters, signed by the Chief of Retirement and Separations Branch. I assume this is what you mean by it being accepted? The reason I'm asking for something to back me up is because, if true, then somehow my department chief (who submitted my name as the replacement for the guy who became non-deployable), company commander, and MTF commander don't know this.

In fact, this afternoon I actually go to HRC to turn in the paperwork to cut my ETS orders.

Reactions: 1 user

Wait until they also charge your for crap at CIF that they never actually issued you 3 months prior. Icing on the cake.

Reactions: 1 users
The bad news is that, assuming they are in violation of ARs, they could just do an exception to policy. The good news is that you can make a big enough stink about it that, in light of your pending REFRAD, they'll probably just move on to the next warm body.

The bad news is that, assuming they are in violation of ARs, they could just do an exception to policy. The good news is that you can make a big enough stink about it that, in light of your pending REFRAD, they'll probably just move on to the next warm body.

The irony is that this only happened because the person previously occupying the position became non-deployable. My name was given as the replacement.

ETS orders are only actually issued a couple months before the actual ETS date, correct? I am debating whether to go to HRC to submit the paperwork for them now, but I'm not sure if that would really make a difference in pushing back against this nonsense.

ETS orders are only actually issued a couple months before the actual ETS date, correct? I am debating whether to go to HRC to submit the paperwork for them now, but I'm not sure if that would really make a difference in pushing back against this nonsense.

I received my separation orders almost 7 months to the day before I got my DD214.

Seems like Milmed in a nutshell to me. Unnecessary, elaborate changes that are neither sound in design nor implementation, and which do nothing but create expense and burden on the system in the highly unlikely chance that it might save 15 minutes in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Answers that question. Guess I'll do that tomorrow, then.

Now that I've thought about it, I probably got the orders a couple of months later than they were dated. I seem to remember being surprised by their date when I received them and wondering what took so long to get them to me. Maybe they just back-dated them so that it looked like the S1 shop had cut them in an appropriate amount of time.

Yeah this isn’t milmed in a nutshell. It may very well be Army in a nutshell though.

Yeah this isn’t milmed in a nutshell. It may very well be Army in a nutshell though.

Fair enough. Navy and Air Force don’t seem to do this nonsense.

This all started because of our new non-physician dept chief, who seems to fill his day finding ways to **** with everyone. Giving my name as the profis replacement was not random, especially with 4 new junior docs fresh from training just coming in. I’m seriously gone in 6 months. No reason to name me.

So dumb

This all started because of our new non-physician dept chief, who seems to fill his day finding ways to **** with everyone. Giving my name as the profis replacement was not random, especially with 4 new junior docs fresh from training just coming in. I’m seriously gone in 6 months. No reason to name me.

So dumb

I can sympathize with your frustration. Th Navy and Air Force have their issues as well. It does boggle my mind why I have to fill out paperwork for anything I do in the military (doctor appointment, new command check in, etc). I have been in the military for 24 years. Why can’t they scan my ID and have everything they need? It is such a waste of time and manpower. If I keep my milconnect, DEERS and NFAAS updated then the Navy knows everything already.

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/r601_142.pdf (Army Medical Department Professional Filler System) see Page 5 Paragraph 6 c (4)

Unless your UQR makes you nondeployable then they can hold you in this position until 90 days (possibly 7) before your departure but it's a **** move for your PROFIS replacement as they too will have to jump through hoops for gear and training. It's like the Commander is kicking this can down the street with a 90 day solution rather than assigning one of the new doctors.

My suggestion - Read the PROFIS regulation for MTOE unit responsibilities - communicate with the unit contact. If they schedule you for gear pick up or training let them know your departure date - They should communicate with your unit for a different Filler.

This is Army, by the way.

Do you have a regulation or anything I could use to back this up? I have the UQR Acceptance memo from HRC Headquarters, signed by the Chief of Retirement and Separations Branch. I assume this is what you mean by it being accepted? The reason I'm asking for something to back me up is because, if true, then somehow my department chief (who submitted my name as the replacement for the guy who became non-deployable), company commander, and MTF commander don't know this.

In fact, this afternoon I actually go to HRC to turn in the paperwork to cut my ETS orders.

So dumb
Have you been deployed? If yes then you can say I was deployed x time ago and why am I deployed now when other doctor who never been deployed etc...
You have six months left...believe or not you can be tasked to deploy whatever time you have and other doctor can split deployment with you...

I am glad that I recently completed my deployment tour. I was never assigned as profis doctor before getting order to deploy suddenly. If you never been deployed or have a long dwelling time it feels like you have a target on your back

My understanding is you have to be back 90 days prior to your ETS date.
You can be required to burn any leave you have accrued to make that 90 days.
So, guessing you have 60 days of leave banked, you are still deployable for the next 5 months.

Look over milper 12-165

It is command dependent whether you get to use leave at all before separating the army. soldiers are sometimes asked to extend their military service to cover deployment or ETS 3 months early? if don’t want to get deployed. I doubt that this apply to army doc though.

Last edited:
My understanding is you have to be back 90 days prior to your ETS date.
You can be required to burn any leave you have accrued to make that 90 days.
So, guessing you have 60 days of leave banked, you are still deployable for the next 5 months.

Look over milper 12-165

I intentionally didn't bank a ton of leave for this reason. I only have about 30 days.

Considering I'm technically non-deployable for a couple reasons, I don't foresee actually being deployed. I got more clarification, and I was apparently named as a, "standby", designation for PROFIS -- whatever the hell that means. My name was given to troop by the dept chief, as they realized last-minute before a briefing to a general officer they had an empty spot recently created due to medical con leave.

Company commander said he'd write a memo so I can draw from CIF and get me to the range, however the commander's level of motivation seems to be as high as mine and none of this actually happened.

I guess it's all really just a bunch of nothing. I'm just a bit paranoid now that I'm in the 6-month window of getting out of here.

I intentionally didn't bank a ton of leave for this reason. I only have about 30 days.

Considering I'm technically non-deployable for a couple reasons, I don't foresee actually being deployed. I got more clarification, and I was apparently named as a, "standby", designation for PROFIS -- whatever the hell that means. My name was given to troop by the dept chief, as they realized last-minute before a briefing to a general officer they had an empty spot recently created due to medical con leave.

Company commander said he'd write a memo so I can draw from CIF and get me to the range, however the commander's level of motivation seems to be as high as mine and none of this actually happened.

I guess it's all really just a bunch of nothing. I'm just a bit paranoid now that I'm in the 6-month window of getting out of here.
I remember feeling the same way, and it got worse the closer I got to my actual out date. You're just taking your last prison shower, and trying to figure out what the right grip is for the soap. Not too tight. Not too loose.

Reactions: 4 users