Dec 10, 2009
New Jersey
Status
Pre-Medical
What is the name of the technology they used for reading the patient's mind in the episode "black hole"? I know this might not be the appropriate forum, but I'm sure someone here knows.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
What is the name of the technology they used for reading the patient's mind in the episode "black hole"? I know this might not be the appropriate forum, but I'm sure someone here knows.

It was some kind of subconscious imaging technology..not sure exactly what they called it.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Status
I remember a cognitive science prof mentioning something similar to this was being researched somewhere, no idea what it was called or where.

Its a similar principle to those games they are marketing now where you can train a little toy to move based on thinking up/down. Obviously way more complex but same sort of general principle. Also the House episode im sure greatly exaggerated the resolution compared to anything that would be remotely achievable

Dec 10, 2009
New Jersey
Status
Pre-Medical
Well then you haven't seen many episodes of House.
Haha. my whole family is made up of doctors and we all watch it together. with a group of 4 doctors and one med student, we can almost never get House's diagnosis until the end when he reveals how the little clues throughout the episode have pointed to some diagnosis.

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha. my whole family is made up of doctors and we all watch it together. with a group of 4 doctors and one med student, we can almost never get House's diagnosis until the end when he reveals how the little clues throughout the episode have pointed to some diagnosis.
Lol. Every time I watch House I always wonder if real doctors are watching it thinking "wow, this crap is bull****." :laugh:

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Status
Lol. Every time I watch House I always wonder if real doctors are watching it thinking "wow, this crap is bull****." :laugh:
I think most people in the field know its TV and therefore like to just enjoy it like any other fictional show. I know a radiologist who said in the early seasons he was nailing diagnoses after 20 minutes in most of the shows, but then they started getting more into doing last minute twists and/or leaving out details.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
As with most medical shows, this one held the attention of doctors through the first handful of episodes. After that the initial authors story lines wound up, they bring in non-medical writers to make it interesting to lay-people, to punch up the inter-character relationships and the like. So the show went from interesting medical cases to a show about magic, the after-life, ESP and the like. Basically jumped the shark. Happened to ER, St Elsewhere, and so on. So yeah, initially doctors liked the show because it really stressed the use of differential diagnoses and had some interesting, actually plausible, medical cases. But now, not so much. It's a bad formula where someone comes in with a preposterous case, the House team launches in to a couple of studies which could kill the patient, and ultimately find the real cause before killing the patient. Not worth a physician's time anymore.

Dial71

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
That episode was the first that I've seen in a year. After watching, I am now certain that House has jumped the shark. I am amazed that it has lasted so long, however. I didn't think that a show so formulaic had anywhere to go after the first season.

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
That episode was the first that I've seen in a year. After watching, I am now certain that House has jumped the shark. I am amazed that it has lasted so long, however. I didn't think that a show so formulaic had anywhere to go after the first season.
for real. and he has the same epiphany face during every episode. you'd think that by now, he could act like a real person would and finish what he was saying at least, and then run off to save a life. but now, just epiphany face, ignore whoever he was talking to, meander off to tell someone.

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
for real. and he has the same epiphany face during every episode. you'd think that by now, he could act like a real person would and finish what he was saying at least, and then run off to save a life. but now, just epiphany face, ignore whoever he was talking to, meander off to tell someone.
At this point the "medicine" has gotten to be a little ridiculous, so now I'm just watching for the hot chicks and House's hilarious dialogue.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Status
Although I think the show is starting to learn to poke fun at itself

In this last show there was one part where he had the ephiphany face, everyone held their breath and then he said he had no ideas.

Also there was this line from the speed dating

House: "I'm a diagnostician, I figure out whats wrong with people and treat them"

Person: "Isn't that what all doctors do?"

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Although I think the show is starting to learn to poke fun at itself

In this last show there was one part where he had the ephiphany face, everyone held their breath and then he said he had no ideas.

Also there was this line from the speed dating

House: "I'm a diagnostician, I figure out whats wrong with people and treat them"

Person: "Isn't that what all doctors do?"
Lol, those parts were hilarious.

Speed date woman: "So, what do you do?"
Chase: "I play video games :cool:"
Speed date woman: "Wow, like professionally?"
Chase: "Pfft, I WISH!"

Also, the part where House owned that pathological liar lady was fricken awesome.

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
As with most medical shows, this one held the attention of doctors through the first handful of episodes. After that the initial authors story lines wound up, they bring in non-medical writers to make it interesting to lay-people, to punch up the inter-character relationships and the like. So the show went from interesting medical cases to a show about magic, the after-life, ESP and the like. Basically jumped the shark. Happened to ER, St Elsewhere, and so on. So yeah, initially doctors liked the show because it really stressed the use of differential diagnoses and had some interesting, actually plausible, medical cases. But now, not so much. It's a bad formula where someone comes in with a preposterous case, the House team launches in to a couple of studies which could kill the patient, and ultimately find the real cause before killing the patient. Not worth a physician's time anymore.
The first episode = :thumbup:. It really is quite different now

zeppelinpage4

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm just curious ...

what does it feel like to be so completely wrong???

:smuggrin: :laugh:

I kid, I kid ... but Wilde is way hotter.
Agreed, Olivia Wilde :love:

I liked the show early on, don't have much time to watch it these days though.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
I'm just curious ...

what does it feel like to be so completely wrong???

:smuggrin: :laugh:

I kid, I kid ... but Wilde is way hotter.
Agreed, Olivia Wilde :love:

I liked the show early on, don't have much time to watch it these days though.
i feel that people only say that is cuze wilde is presented in a much more sexual way. for example, hot lesbian sex, sex with co worker, being refered to as being hot by co worker and house. also note that foreman is closer to the main character than chase, there fore, makes wilde seem all the more important. truthfully speaking, judging soley by looks, she is not numero uno. oh yea, she has a jaw thats more masculine than half of the men in that show.