Mindray ultrasound with passive magnet for needle steering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have experience with the Mindray TE5/7 ultrasound units?

it supposedly has magnetic sensors in the probe for needle visualization and steering in 4D.

here is the promo ad I came across.

I think they may use this at the UC Davis pain fellowship.

anyone there have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen it. It's a cool party trick but I'm not sure it was that helpful for actually performing a block. It would've been most useful for curvilinear probes/deep blocks but I think it was limited to the usual linear probe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Learn how to perform US guided procedures well and you don’t need this party trick... and can use any machine

Practice with tofu

Learn how to perform US guided procedures well and you don’t need this party trick... and can use any machine

Practice with tofu

I agree that knowing how to do procedures first is paramount. Just trying to get a sense of the US machine itself and if this additional tech can set it apart from it’s competition. I have a lot of fluffy patients here in the Midwest. The deeper the needle the harder to see.

I agree that knowing how to do procedures first is paramount. Just trying to get a sense of the US machine itself and if this additional tech can set it apart from it’s competition. I have a lot of fluffy patients here in the Midwest. The deeper the needle the harder to see.

I know the sales rep he goes to most of the big pain conferences. Nice guy. We are friendly
I’ve played with this and he really really wanted me to use it during a cadaver course I was the instructor at. It was really distracting for teaching purposes from what I remember. it has its limitations as well. Personally I would not buy a mindray unless I got a ridiculous deal, anf I certainly would not buy a mid ray for this function

I have used Mindray and the needle steering in clinical settings. Did not find it that much of a value add (though I am very comfortable with ultrasound guided procedures using traditional probes). Also, I was not highly impressed with the image quality of Mindray (say compared to Sonosite or other systems).

I know the sales rep he goes to most of the big pain conferences. Nice guy. We are friendly
I’ve played with this and he really really wanted me to use it during a cadaver course I was the instructor at. It was really distracting for teaching purposes from what I remember. it has its limitations as well. Personally I would not buy a mindray unless I got a ridiculous deal, anf I certainly would not buy a mid ray for this function

So still the Konica for best bang for the buck (minus customer service)?

So still the Konica for best bang for the buck (minus customer service)?
Depends on your budget and how good of a deal you can negotiate. If you buy a cart based system you can get a really really good machine from most companies now for low 40s.
I recently bought a GE portable machine since I go between different offices. Little lighter to carry as well. The newer sonosite are awesome but too expensive

What are they defining the 4th dimension as? Time? Gravity?

I think it’s similar to 4G -> 5G
4D is better than 3D.
The more D’s the better
1604376503154.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
technically, an object in the 4th dimension is a tesseract.

I would prefer to see things in 11 dimensions (10 dimensions and time)... at least, that is what is postulated by string theory.