Minimal requirements to get interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rox

ossified
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
What are the minimal requirements an international medical student needs to fulfil in order to get interview invites? I am talking here about Step 1, Step 2 CS, Step 2 CK and graduate vs final year. I appreciate your help.

yippyskippy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it depends pretty heavily on what you are applying in, and where... you definitely need to pass all your steps, and most people have US recommendations and US clinical experience... if you do a search, I think there is something about IMGs and their stats and what interviews they got -- it might give you a sense of where to aim.

Good luck!

Top Gun

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the minimal requirements an international medical student needs to fulfil in order to get interview invites? I am talking here about Step 1, Step 2 CS, Step 2 CK and graduate vs final year. I appreciate your help.

The requirements vary from program to program. Some programs require ECFMG certification before considering you for an interview, some don't. Some have cutoffs of 90 on Step 1, others have cutoffs of 80. The requirements can even vary between residency programs in the same specialty.

I have a suggestion for you on how to get interview invites as an IMG. Its a website called matcharesident.com. The program allows you to enter your credentials (i.e. Step scores), and then supplies a list of programs that take people with your particular credentials. It also provides a list of programs that are IMG-friendly, and even gives you percentages of IMG's in each program. Granted, matcharesident.com won't guarantee you an interview at every program you apply to, but its a step in the right direction. It helped me get plenty of interviews this year.

Good luck. :luck:

rox

ossified
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the info. The point is that I've always thought I have to be a graduate in order to receive interview invites. So, Is it possible that I receive interview invites as a final year student?

I have passed Step 1 (99/238) and during the next interview season, I'll be a final year med student. I'll graduate in May, 2009. I'll be done with USCE and Step 2 by march, 2009. My plan was to apply for categorial general surgery for 2010 match after I graduate and pass all the steps. But now, I am thinking about applying for TY in the next match.

I am aware that programs look at all the other credentials like LOR, USCE,..etc, which makes me a poor applicant for the next match, but I though I it might be possible to apply for TY(Surgery) rather than a categorial program, where I'll have better chances. So if I get matched in a TY, it will be better than spending a year home after graduation, waiting for the match season. Failing to match at all won't be such a trauma.

Is this a viable plan? Is it possible?

Top Gun

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the info. The point is that I've always thought I have to be a graduate in order to receive interview invites. So, Is it possible that I receive interview invites as a final year student?

I have passed Step 1 (99/238) and during the next interview season, I'll be a final year med student. I'll graduate in May, 2009. I'll be done with USCE and Step 2 by march, 2009. My plan was to apply for categorial general surgery for 2010 match after I graduate and pass all the steps. But now, I am thinking about applying for TY in the next match.

I am aware that programs look at all the other credentials like LOR, USCE,..etc, which makes me a poor applicant for the next match, but I though I it might be possible to apply for TY(Surgery) rather than a categorial program, where I'll have better chances. So if I get matched in a TY, it will be better than spending a year home after graduation, waiting for the match season. Failing to match at all won't be such a trauma.

Yes, you can apply in your final year of med school. But get Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS done as soon as possible. If you're an IMG, programs like to see applicants who are already ECFMG certified. In fact, for some programs, ECFMG certification is required before they will even consider giving you an interview. Just thought you should know.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

yes, although as noted above, programs, at the very least, like some assurance you will be ECFMG certified. Without having taken Step 2 before the application season, there will be little reason they should believe you will be certified. Some programs require certification before application, although a minority.

if you do not take USMLE Step 2 until March 2009 then you are not eligible for the match 2009. All exams must be taken and passed prior to submitting your ROL for the match (usually sometime in February). Therefore, on your current schedule, you would have to wait until 2010 match.

FYI...there is no transitional year for Surgery. Its either a prelim surgery year or categorical position.

TY positions are typically very competitive and since you do not spend your year in Surgery are not as valuable to you in the match for a categorical position as a prelim surgery year would be.

If you were to move up your Step 2 CS and CK a couple of months you could be eligible for the match, or at the very least to scramble into a Prelim Surgery position for July 2009. But without taking the exam and having the results before the ROL is due, you cannot participate in the match but if you enroll you can still participate in the scramble.

Moving up USCE to this fall would allow you to participate in the NRMP 2009.

rox

ossified
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info. Now I almost know where I stand. I am aiming for a surgical prelim. I obviously mixed up between TY and prelim. Thanks for the clarification.

It is quite possible for me to move up the USCE and Step 2 CS to this fall but Step 2 CK, in this case, will have to wait till March or even April, 2009. Based on these new dates, how will I be looking? When is the latest date to be done with Step 2 CK?

Is the bottom line that I have to be done with USCE & ALL the Steps by February?

So, my impression about the whole process of matching now is that I can receive interview invites in the period October-January(?) regardless of status regarding the Steps and LOR's but I need to be done with LOR and all(?) the steps by February. Is it the way it goes?

I appreciate your help.

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info. Now I almost know where I stand. I am aiming for a surgical prelim. I obviously mixed up between TY and prelim. Thanks for the clarification.

It is quite possible for me to move up the USCE and Step 2 CS to this fall but Step 2 CK, in this case, will have to wait till March or even April, 2009. Based on these new dates, how will I be looking? When is the latest date to be done with Step 2 CK?

Is the bottom line that I have to be done with USCE & ALL the Steps by February?

So, my impression about the whole process of matching now is that I can receive interview invites in the period October-January(?) regardless of status regarding the Steps and LOR's but I need to be done with LOR and all(?) the steps by February. Is it the way it goes?

I appreciate your help.

Honestly, you need to be done with all of your steps and your US clinical experience and have your application in by Nov 1st to have the best chance.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Technically:

you must have completed all steps toward ECFMG certification (except having the final medical diploma) by the date of your Rank Order List (usually mid February) to participate in the NRMP

Realistically:

as aPD notes, you should have completed everything (USMLE Steps 1, 2 CS and CK and USCE) by November of your final year to fully participate in the match and have the best chance to match.

Without doing CK and passing before ROL of Feb 2009, you will NOT be eligible to participate in the match. As I noted before, you can enroll in the match and will be withdrawn (since your CK will not be completed) but can still participate in the scramble.

This *may* be preferable to sitting out a year, but as APD notes, it is not your best option for getting the best position because without the CK or ECFMG certification, some programs will not interview you and you are left over with the dregs in the scramble. The scramble gets more and more difficult each year, especially as Surgery gets more popular.

So your options are, if you cannot move up your CK:

1) enroll in the match and participate in the scramble
2) sit out a year and apply for match 2010 (your original plan as I recall)

rox

ossified
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see. So I think I'll stick to my first plan, NRMP 2010, which will be more reasonable and safer. Thank you guys really for your efforts. Case closed! :)