Minimum GPA for HPSP - all branches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted707454

Hello all,

Accepted into DO schools, and applying for HPSP. I filled out the AF's HPSP scholarship qualification form. Under GPA, I put in my AMCAS GPA (3.19) which does not meet their minimum 3.2 requirement. They told me this and said they do not round up. I know that the Army also has this 3.2 minimum - not sure about Navy. Can I use my AACOMAS GPA and "qualify" for this scholarship in any branch?

I was originally told that I can apply for the scholarship if I "just get accepted into any accredited US school" by SDN'ers. Any past experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that the posters that stated the above assumed everyone getting into medical school had a 3.4+ GPA and didnt take anything lower into consideration. For what it's worth when I first got accepted to med school all 3 branches told me that I couldn't get the HPSP for the same reason as you and would have to wait to do the residency option of joining the military (FAP I think its called? Been awhile) if I really wanted to do military medicine, which i've cooled on a bit as i've read more about it from these forums.

I've been wondering about this as well. There's no way my AMCAS GPA will be above a 3.12, I've literally done all the calculations, but my AACOMAS GPA should be well above 3.6. Will that really prevent me from doing HPSP? That seems sort of ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't seem ridiculous to me. There should be standards. Once you get in, they own the product forever. There's no reason that HPSP shouldn't hold to the highest standard that it can get away with.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation but that 3.2 gpa cutoff is nonwaiverable. Just take out loan and you will be happier in the end.

I've calculated that I could also take a CC course and bump myself over the threshold quite easily. And have that increase to show prior to Dec 15th. I want to have military service and prefer not to take out loans.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation but that 3.2 gpa cutoff is nonwaiverable. Just take out loan and you will be happier in the end.

I feel like I've heard of other SDNers getting HPSP using their AACOMAS GPA. After all, it is the GPA they used to get accepted into medical school. Input anyone? I can't seem to find -any- guidelines on HPSP websites about which type of GPA to use.

edit:
"In general, a competitive applicant for the HPSP or USUHS will have a GPA of 3.5 or higher and an MCAT score of 27 or higher. The Military also factors in volunteer work and leadership, so students with a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher and an MCAT score of 24 or higher may wish to apply."

wat.

Last edited:
The Navy does not have a minimum GPA for application from what I know; however, an acceptance is extremely unlikely even with a med school acceptance.

Mitigating factors may make it less of an issue (e.g. finished college 8 years ago with a 2.7 and recently retook a bunch of science/math classes with a 4.0 etc etc)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I found this on Doctors Surviving Medicine. The author went through AF HPSP in ~2015...

"As of when I applied, at least, the Air Force was giving out scholarships in two ways. First choice goes to people who meet a minimum GPA requirement and, if I remember correctly, a minimum MCAT score. (Forgive me, it was a while ago…) If you meet the minimum requirements, you can send your packet to the board as soon as you have an acceptance letter in hand.

If you don’t meet the minimum GPA requirements, you submit your packet to the board in February. Any scholarships that are left after the “fully qualified” folks get their scholarship are given out to the board in February."

I'm going to guess that all of these additional GPA rules/nuances are being added in by recruiters for convenience.

GPA waivers are available later in the cycle for Army applicants, usually in the early summer timeframe, from the folks I've talked to. AMEDD tries to fill all their slots with 3.2+ people, but often fail to do so.