Ministry Education in B.C : "PREMEDSCHOOL of Caribbean Medical University, Surrey BC is UNACCREDITED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docwannabe1

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My legal case (content similar to letter below) got accepted on february 26th 2016 at the small claims of the provincial court in british columbia. Although I have contacted the Caribbean Medical University on more then 6 ocassions from January till March 2016 via all means available they until now have NOT responded to the legal case or my request for a refund.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
To:
Carribean Medical University

Subject:
Letter claim: Demand to be full refunded of CAD $18,460.00 I paid in tuition fees for the 3 semester of premed I attended at the CMU PREMEDSCHOOL in Surrey B.C.

Date: January 2016

Dear Sir/Madam,
In my pursuit to educate myself to become a medical doctor in North America I applied at CMU. I already had passed my Medical College Application test in September 2014 and got a competitive score. However when I applied for Med school at the University of Manitoba, they told me that I still had to do complete 2 years of undergraduate college courses (because required courses did not connect) if I had to be considered for their Medical School.

CMU offered that same curriculum in 1 year. CMU offered this curriculum to me in 2 emails in 2014 stating the following:

" The Caribbean Medical University has received full approval from the Canada's Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities to issue "Diploma of Premedical Sciences" to students who complete their premed program in Canada at our satellite campuses. This will allow our students to get credits and a diploma equivalent to North American colleges and universities once they complete the premedical program. CMU is the first and only Medical School from the Caribbean to get this approval.

I concluded from those 2 emails that with the Diploma I would get, I would be able to fulfill the requirement of UVM and be able to transfer the credits received at CMU to UVM and could apply at UVM. Even better CMU told me I was automatically approved to their University to if I finished their Curriculum successfully. I had a lot of options.

I attended and completed 2 semesters at the CMU Premed school in Surrey, BC and was offered a 3rd semester online. When the 3rd semester started I was not provided information which chapters out of which books to study. At the end of the 4th week I still had not received this information and therefore I asked to be refunded for my tuition fee. CMU refused to refund me. I hired a lawyer in Curacao to get my tuition fee back. Although my lawyer seemed close to reach resolution with CMU in effect it never happened.

After receiving my transcript for the 2 semesters I completed at CMU Premedschool in Surrey, BC, I asked World Education Services (a Credential Validating Organisation) to validate it. They sent it back with the comment that they don't accept documents from CMU.

I then filed a complaint with the Ministry of Advanced Education in British Columbia. They informed me that:

"In British Columbia, the Degree Authorization Act requires degree-granting institutions to undergo a rigorous quality assessment process and obtain consent from the Minister if they wish to advertise, grant or offer degrees in British Columbia. I can confirm that Caribbean Medical University does not have, nor has it ever had, authority to operate as a degree-granting institution or grant degrees in or from British Columbia".

I conclude hereby that the Caribbean Medical University in British Columbia operates a CMU Premedschool in Surrey, BC as a "degree mill" for monetary gain with the purpose of enticing students to enlist at the Caribbean Medical School in Curacao when they finished the Premed school in Surrey, BC after one year.

The transcript I received from Caribbean Medical University therefore holds no value. I am forced to redo the courses (I successfully completed at the CMU Premedschool in Surrey, BC) at a legitimate University in Canada.

I hereby demand to be refunded for the CAD $18,460.00 tuition fee I paid you for the 3 semesters at CMU Premed school in Surrey B.C.

Any arguments the Caribbean Medical University may have claiming they had consent from other institutions in Canada to operate as a degree granting institution are not valid.
In Canada to operate a degree granting institution in British Columbia the sole institution who can provide you consent to do so, is the Ministry of Advanced Education of British Columbia.

Any arguments the Caribbean Medical University may have claiming they are in fact a branch school (accreditation of such a school is usually left to the accreditation organisation of the University in the country the "mother" University operates) in Canada and have agreements with institutions in Canada to operate as a branch school are not valid.
In Canada to operate a degree granting institution in British Columbia as a branch/satellite school the sole institution who can provide you consent to do so, is the Ministry of Advanced Education of British Columbia.

Any arguments the Caribbean Medical University may have claiming they are in fact outsourced their CMU Premed school education to CIMT College, a vocational school out of Brampton, ON are not valid. The fact is you communicated to your students that they will be attending a CMU Premed school. The fact is that during the 3 semesters I attended in all communication with you, it was made clear to me that I was attending the CMU Premed school in Surrey, BC. By communicating to your students that you are CMU Premed school in Surrey, BC as a matter of fact, you have established yourself as the CMU Premed school in Surrey, BC. CMU thereby accepts the responsibility to communicate to the the Ministry of Advanced Education in BC that you are a CMU Premed school in Surrey BC and wish to operate as a degree granting institution in BC.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand what this is doing here
You are right, can't seem to find a way to change the forum on this is thread will just have to repost it on the appropriate forum

Status
Not open for further replies.