Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Minnesota MSTP vs. Baylor MD

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by MASHI, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MASHI

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone

I wanted to ask people's opinions on something that I have been struggling with recently.

Background: My undergrad is UCI (graduating this year) with a Biomedical Engineering - Premedical degree, and a 3.9 GPA. I've done 3 years of research and have had many publications. My MCAT score is 36O.

Right now, I'm only accepted at Minnesota MSTP, as well as Baylor's MD (and PhD, but not in the MSTP). I was rejected by both UCSF and UCLA MSTP. After contacting the UCLA MSTP director, he told me that some committee members felt that my application was too PhD-oriented and questioned whether the medical degree was "fit" for me.

I'm still waiting for UCSF and UCLA medical school, and UCI MSTP.

However, in the worst case that all of the above reject me, I'm deciding between going to a MSTP, just a MD, or reapply again next year.

Therefore, if it were you, would you just go to Minnesota's MSTP, or go to Baylor's MD (and potentially reapply to the MSTP program in the first year of medical school), or just reapply next year?

Thanks for all the help :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Auscultate

2+ Year Member

My inclination would be that "an MSTP is an MSTP is an MSTP.." , so if you are sure that you want to do the dual degree, definitely go for the Minnesota MSTP - it will get you to where you want to go.
    You mentioned that you got into Baylor's "MD(and PhD)" - are you talking about MD/PhD but not MSTP? or you mean separate applications to the grad school and med school?
    Here's what I think
    1. If it is Minnesota MSTP versus Baylor MD only (with a chance to apply to MSTP in your second year), I would go with MSTP

2. If it is Minnesota MSTP versus Baylor MD/PhD(but not MSTP) I would consider the pros and cons of the schools (re: location, curriculum, student body, weather, gut feeling etc) and make a choice based on that....

3. I would NOT reapply if I already have an MSTP acceptance this year.

gl

4. gbwillner

gbwillner Pastafarian
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :thumbup:
    :thumbup:
    Seconded on all counts

5. noplacelikehome

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I'm in a similar situation. I got the MD acceptance, and the PhD. I'm not entirely sure what it means, actually. It isn't MSTP, but it doesn't entirely look like it is separate admissions, either (the graduate school letter says something about it being contingent on medical school attendance, or something like that). I was hesitant to do it just because I felt like there would be less support than at an MSTP program, and I am accepted to Case Westerns program. I haven't entirely made up my mind what to do about it either. Any advice is appreciated here, too!! Thanks for bringing this one up!

6. EaglesPA

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The question is will they pay for your MD just like an MSTP would? If the answer is yes, then it doesn't really matter whether it is "just" MD/PhD versus MSTP if you are considering a place like Case Western. Of course if it is MD/PhD (but not MSTP) at Podunk med school, then you'll have to think a little bt about your options.

7. cerulean grass

cerulean grass New Member
    7+ Year Member

#6 cerulean grass, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. noplacelikehome

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    The unfortunate part is that they don't pay for the MD, and from what the next person said, it is probably pretty much separate admissions... Just out of curiosity - do you consider the MSTP at Case Western to be equivalent to the MD/PhD without MSTP at Baylor, or worse? I'm not sure how much the MSTP part really means...

9. Maebea

Maebea Member
    15+ Year Member

I would take the MSTP offer you have in hand, over the possibility of getting into the Baylor MSTP later. Unless Baylor gives you a full-ride scholarship to cover tuition and living expenses for med school, you will come out of med school with a lot of debt. Even if you get into the Baylor MSTP after 1 or 2 years, you will still have a significant debt load.

To be honest, there is not a lot of incentive for Baylor's MSTP to offer you funding down the road, unless you outshine future MSTP applicants to that school. (This does happen at some institutions, I just do not know if Baylor is one of these.) Cerulean Grass is probably right about the success of 1st year MD students gaining admission to Baylor's MSTP, but were any of these rejected the first time around by the MSTP? More likely, they were MD-only applicants, and had not previously been denied by the MSTP committee.

You could still make Baylor work out by applying for an individual NRSA to cover your tuition and give you a stipend. However, NRSAs only fund 6 years of combined MD-PhD training, so you would still come up short on the money side.

Were I in your position, I would go with the sure thing, buy some winter clothes and head to Minnesota.

10. Dr.Watson

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  11. ProdigyMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, you should give Baylor MSTP a call. I know a guy who is on the waitlist for Baylor's MSTP. Maybe you're on the waitlist.

12. meowkat444

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you think they thought your application was too ph.d. oriented?

13. MASHI

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for everybody's opinion.. this is a hard decision for me too.:(

well, the UCLA MSTP director told me that they thought my application was too PhD oriented, mainly because my research is in Biomedical Engineering (microfluidics)