1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Minnesota vs. Tulane (the Battle!)

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by sail0r, Apr 25, 2007.

1. sail0r

Other Health Professions Student
    I applied in Health Policy and Management......

Minnesota has a great MHA in Healthcare Management progam (#2 in US).

...but I am doing the MPH in the same field.....do those rankings concern my program as well (MPH in HPM)?

Tulane's MHA in Healthcare Management is a lot lower....30 something, but again, I'm doing the MPH side of things...

MPH rankings are as follows: UMinn #10 ; Tulane #13

Obviously rankings aren't everything.....

But how would you read these rankings (for the MHA in respects to an MPH in HPM)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. satarpatar

satarpatar New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Sorry, This is unrelated to your question.
    I have a question for you.
    I got an admit in MPH Epi. at Tulane that I am considering to join.
    How do you like Tulane MPH ?
    Would appreciate your comments.
    I am an international student.

Thanks.

4. sail0r

Oh, sorry, my post was probably misleading...

I'm actually scheduled to attend one of these 2 schools in the fall. Haven't been there yet!

[​IMG]

5. sail0r

Nobody? ho hum.

6. aupz23

7+ Year Member

You can look at the advantages and disadvantages of both schools....I heard that both tulane and minnesota are good....I've heard that both programs are good but i' more familiar with minnesota---it's got everything, health administration, public health, medicine, health informatics, policy, research, etc....I think i'd go with minnesota but that's me.....I like Minnesota, personally...

i'm trying to decide if I should go to Indiana University or George Washington University for healthcare management

7. mimiluau

2+ Year Member

If Minnesota is that highly ranked (2nd) for Healthcare Management/Administration and you're going for a MPH Health Policy and Management, then that's where you should go, in my opinion. Because as a HPM concentrator, you'll probably have quite a few classes with MHA people and you'll have the same professors etc. So for your particular program it makes sense.

If you have an opportunity, maybe visit Tulane and/or Minnesota because ultimately, rankings can't really tell you which is the best school for you.

I'm partial to Tulane myself bcos I think that's where I'm going but I'm doing the MPH in Global Maternal and Child Health so it makes sense for me. But if Minnesota is so highly ranked in a program that closely related to yours, I'm thinking it's going to be hard to turn them down.

That's just my 2cents though. Good luck deciding... I know how hard it is, I'm having a hard time making a decision too.

8. sail0r

Thanks for the replies...these opinions have been echoed from my friends and family as well....

I just so wanted to live in Nawlin's.