Minnesota Waitlist Movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hildaluc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know anything about the UofMN waitlist movement? I know the list is published May 15, does anyone know how many *typically* will come off the waitlist and how quickly movement happens?

Gossip, speculation, and wild generalizations welcome. Any help at all... :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, we are getting close to the 15th. Anyone hear anything lately? Any speculations on when the committee meets to make final decisions?

yi sheng said:
Hey, we are getting close to the 15th. Anyone hear anything lately? Any speculations on when the committee meets to make final decisions?

The decisions have been made. I called Jeff this afternoon and he said emails for acceptances / alternate list would start going out tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
nefarious said:
The decisions have been made. I called Jeff this afternoon and he said emails for acceptances / alternate list would start going out tomorrow.

Thanks for the info! Now begins the mad email checking!

Anybody get an email/call? I didn't. :(

yi sheng said:
Anybody get an email/call? I didn't. :(

Neither did I (le sigh) :(

Anyone else hear anything?

Don't believe anything they tell you. You will only be getting your hopes up.

"Yeah, the committee meets this Wednesday to review your application"

Three weeks later, I called and got the same thing. "I believe the committee will be discussing your application this coming Wednesday."

Lies. All lies.

MN81 said:
Don't believe anything they tell you. You will only be getting your hopes up.

"Yeah, the committee meets this Wednesday to review your application"

Three weeks later, I called and got the same thing. "I believe the committee will be discussing your application this coming Wednesday."

Lies. All lies.

That actually makes me feel a bit better. I was convinced my rejection was in the mail.

So Minnesota is emailing decisions for the alternate list? I thought they came via snail mail and only had to be sent by tomorrow???

sb1shan said:
So Minnesota is emailing decisions for the alternate list? I thought they came via snail mail and only had to be sent by tomorrow???

Per Jeff (Thursday afternoon), they are emailing acceptances and alternate list decisions (not sure about rejections, perhaps?) then sending a snailmail confirmation. He said Friday but as no one seems to have heard (based on mdapplicants & SDN--not completely accurate, but a decent random sample), I guess they're waiting until Monday (I hope)?

Our secondary letter stated we would hear accept-alternate-reject BY Monday, May 15th. So I presume rejection will come by email first as well?

i got my waitlist- rejection a couple days ago. so if you haven't gotten one be happy. won't be seeing you next year. have fun in the snow.
-mota

drmota said:
i got my waitlist- rejection a couple days ago. so if you haven't gotten one be happy. won't be seeing you next year. have fun in the snow.
-mota

sorry to hear that. Would you mind letting us know if it was email or snail mail and when the letter was dated?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
yi sheng said:
sorry to hear that. Would you mind letting us know if it was email or snail mail and when the letter was dated?

thanks

snail mail. dated ~ a week ago i guess? i dunno i threw it out
-mota

:luck: Good luck bump.

Anyone, anything?

I just called the admissions office and Jeff said that the committee is still deciding and trying to finalize the alternate list. He said that emails should be sent out in a couple of hours for acceptances, alternate lists, and rejections. Good luck everyone!

I am dying here! It's already 3pm MN time-how much longer can they take?

yi sheng said:

I've been clicking the refresh button on my email like a crazed monkey since Thursday afternoon. Who knew waiting could be so exhausting?

yi sheng said:

I know! I've been patiently (*ahem*) waiting and checking.

me too! they need to send those emails out... like now

jennelle1030 said:
finally heard back!

Um, care to elaborate? Email or phone call? Accept or alternate list?

Just "I heard" is a little bitchy.

nefarious said:
Um, care to elaborate? Email or phone call? Accept or alternate list?

Just "I heard" is a little bitchy.

I heard back too. An email for the alternate list.

I don't have anything yet :(

yi sheng said:
I don't have anything yet :(

Thanks, Scoots, does the email indicate your alternate list number? What was the subject line?

Nothing here yet either (sigh).

I also heard. Alternate list. Anyone know how many people they let in? This has not really given me much more info about if I'll be in MN or out east next year for school. I guess I'll keep waiting since it's so much fun... :)

i was put on the alternate list, so it might not be bad if you havent heard back yet.

sb1shan said:
I also heard. Alternate list. Anyone know how many people they let in? This has not really given me much more info about if I'll be in MN or out east next year for school. I guess I'll keep waiting since it's so much fun... :)

Around 30, I think? Someone posted about a girl who was at 32 when the list came out last year and only ended up at 2 by the first day of classes.

jennelle1030 said:
i was put on the alternate list, so it might not be bad if you havent heard back yet.

... or it could be really bad (preparing myself for the wailing and gnashing of teeth). :(

email subject line is "alternate list notification". Their class size is 165 and in previous years, they take 30-40 off the alternate list.

Thanks for the info.

Also, I didn't get an email, but I called the U and they gave me my number on the list. I still have not gotten an email just so you know.

Good luck!

sb1shan said:
Thanks for the info.

Also, I didn't get an email, but I called the U and they gave me my number on the list. I still have not gotten an email just so you know.

Good luck!

Just called, alternate list, no email.

Really crappy number too. I'll get very close, but I doubt I'll make it off (sigh).

So I called as well- #91. I guess I will be staying in California. :(

just got the email. alternate list.... more waiting...

Alternate list here, low 30's so here's hoping...

Nodelphi said:
Alternate list here, low 30's so here's hoping...
The list has moved one position. Called the "hotline" (admissions office, then 1-1-4).

Previous threads suggest only 11 off the waitlist for incoming 2004. Yikes.

If you call, please update this thread if you can (if there is movement).

:luck: :luck: :luck:

I can't remember, but perhaps one of you does. Does the U of MN over accept or just accept enough for spots available? Thanks!

During my interview marilyn becker said that they send out 260 acceptances each year and then puts 100 on the alternate list.

Wow the alternate list has not moved very much this year, by this time last year, 8 was # 1.

This is making me nervous, wahhh!! :scared:

jennelle1030 said:
Wow the alternate list has not moved very much this year, by this time last year, 8 was # 1.

This is making me nervous, wahhh!! :scared:

I agree!! I don't know what to make of it? I can't imagine that they've processed all the withdraws yet, since they have worked so slowly up to this point. I strongly dislike that it seems like such a mystery.

well, at least the alternate list is finally moving a little bit more. #6 is now #1 yay!! keep your fingers crossed and hope that it'll move more

jennelle1030 said:
well, at least the alternate list is finally moving a little bit more. #6 is now #1 yay!! keep your fingers crossed and hope that it'll move more

Sending in my withdrawl today, so it's going to move one more spot soon. Enjoy your time there - I know I would have! :thumbup:

jlweinst said:
Sending in my withdrawl today, so it's going to move one more spot soon. Enjoy your time there - I know I would have! :thumbup:

Thanks!! Another spot closer!! :D

Just called... #7 is now #1. Also, #47, 48 and 70 have withdrawn.

anyone from this thread close to getting in? or is everyone already in and i'm the only one still waiting...

jennelle1030 said:
anyone from this thread close to getting in? or is everyone already in and i'm the only one still waiting...

I'm with you...still waiting...hoping...

I wish the best of luck to both of us then!! :luck: :luck:

Whoo hoo just need the list to move another 20-25 spots, that's reasonable right? ...right?

:luck: :luck: :luck: to everyone!!