Minor IA and med school application

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i have an IA on my record. i'll briefly explain what happened below.

my alma mater referred me to campus counseling (a service used by ~40 percent of the students at some point in their undergrad career) in order to help me improve my emotional well-being (I was struggling with academics and frustrated by disappointments). i was told to maintain a counseling relationship with my campus therapist until both of us decide that further counseling is no longer necessary - a standard/common procedure used by my school. however, i missed a counseling appointment (due to oversleeping), and i didn't reschedule immediately. the school held me responsible for violating its counseling directive and i was given a warning, which is on my record.

by the time I send in my application, this incident would be 3 yrs behind me. i will have to report this incident on AMCAS, and i am looking for as much feedback as i can about this situation and how it'll affect my chances. everyone i've talked to told me not to worry about this, but the thing is, i don't have a super competitive application either.

I am no expert on medical school admissions, but I cannot imagine this will have much of an effect, if any, on your application. If you don't get interviews, it's likely driven by the rest of your application. We'll see if others have comments.

Members don't see this ad.